Does the latest Keynote for Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleChap, Sep 27, 2014.

1. AppleChap macrumors newbie

... allow you to select multiple words to highlight using cmd+click?

I never did grab the latest iWork due to the missing features, but with iOS and iCloud both getting more significant it'd be nice to be able to open my files on every platform!

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If by "select multiple words" you mean selecting multiple text boxes, then the answer is yes. I tried selecting multiple words within a text box (with the typing cursor activated) and couldn't do it, but I've never done something like that in Keynote or OS X so I don't know if that's the behavior you're describing.

For what it's worth, you can install the new version of Keynote (version 6) and still have the old version (version 5) available on your computer, too. Unless Apple changed something recently, they made is to that both versions would coexist. This would allow you to test out the new version for yourself.

The only thing to be aware of is that the new version will need to convert presentations made by the older version of Keynote, but version 5 is unable to open files updated by or created in version 6.

3. AppleChap thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Bit old now but just realised I never replied to this. Thanks for your advice, I downloaded the latest version of Keynote based on what you told me; it installs alongside '09. Thanks for that. :)

I think enough has been said about the latest versions missing a bunch of stuff so have very little to add other than I do wish Apple would sort the latest versions out, like pretty much everyone else! Stuff missing, not as intuitive (though that could be just my familiarity with the older version.)

Real kick in the teeth for me is you still can't select multiple words at once. Really useful to highlight keywords without having to keep doing it as you go along or word-for-word once you've finished typing. I've sent in a feedback report anyway, fingers crossed they add that feature back.

The other bizarre thing is it doesn't keep formatting when you copy/paste in from Xcode, another real kick in the teeth. I was editing a presentation that could no longer be opened in the old Keynote the other day and found myself copy and pasting from Xcode into the old version, to copy it into the latest version! Bizarre.

Thanks again for your help.