Does the Leather Case Absorb Odors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MaxMike, Sep 14, 2014.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I already ordered my iPhone 6 (Space Grey/64GB) and can't wait for it to come in on Friday. I want to get the black leather case for it, but I'm concerned about it absorbing smells. Mainly because I take my phone when I go to the gym to watch videos when I'm doing cardio or to check something when I'm waiting for any other machine. I wasn't sure since its the aniline leather, rather than being coated with anything like the interior in my car, if its more apt to absorb any smells. Searched for the topic and couldn't find anything; just about any other color than black darkening with use. I know a lot of people will say to get a different case, but I also don't want to risk breaking the case if I go to switch it, along with the gamble of having the case here before my iPhone does. If anyone knows I'd appreciate any feedback!

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

There are those that think the Apple leather case stinks, but not from absorption.

Maybe I'll take my case into the local ethnic restaurant and hide it in there for a day and then give it the sniff test.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Leather is cow skin - its a porous material so it has the ability to absorb. The tanning process may change that however since so many coats and shoes are made of leather. Still I think its not unheard off.

4. idanny34 macrumors regular

Went to a barbecue at a relative's house recently and noticed that the leather case definitely absorbed some of the odors. Some odors will be absorbed, but they usually go away. Haven't broken the case after taking it off a few dozen times, so if you're really worried about the leather case absorbing odors just use a different case when you're at the gym.

5. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

BBQ smell on the leather case................mmmmm Heaven.

6. srltzz342 macrumors member

If you're in a place that has a distinguishable smell for a long period of time, it might hold onto some of the odor.

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I would say yes. I can still smell my after shave a few days later. I used my phone right after and looks like the smell stuck onto it.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Well I'm not going to bring mine into the bathroom to read while on the toilet.

9. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Ha ha ha ha! Took me a few seconds but Ya I got it now!

10. barrikade macrumors member

I use mine while on the throne and I have not noticed any odors stuck to my case :)

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

I can't take any chances. Last thing I want happening is sitting on the railroad train and then seeing someone nearby check the bottoms of his shoes.

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I wanted to test the theory, so I closed the garage door and turned on the car. I put the phone by the exhaust pipe for 30 minutes. I passed out after what must have been 10 minutes. When I came to in my hospital bed, the nurse fetched my bag of personal belongings. I opened it and took a whiff... it definitely smells like exhaust.

In all seriousness, this is the weirdest discussion ever. Of course leather absorbs scents... it's skin! Just like your skin absorbs scent (hence body wash, cologne, lotion, etc), so does leather. If you want a material that doesn't, get a hard plastic\tpu\rubber case...

But really, if you're in an environment where the scent is so strong the small square footage your phone case takes up absorbs smell, then your whole body and hair and clothes are going to stink far worse.

----------

... waiting for someone to say "Curry" or "Indian" in a post.... hehehehe.

----------

This was a joke, right? If your phone stinks due to absorbing scents from the air, you have far more to worry about because your clothes and hair will absorb much more of airborne scents.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

I guess it went over like a lead balloon for the scientifically-minded audience. I thought the visual was funny. Me sitting there with a stinking iPhone and being self-concious about it and someone a few seats away checks his own person.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

HAHA, yeah I just assume people are serious the way they ask the most bizarre questions on here, this thread is case in point, hehehehe.... ;-)

But seriously, I'm cooking fish tonight... so I sent my phone out to the backyard.

15. srltzz342 macrumors member

I spent a few hours at a starbucks yesterday, and my case smelled like coffee afterwards. Not a bad thing at all, though.