Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Anyone know if the Leopard Drop In Disc would work on a PPC system like a G5? Or is it just for upgrading the newer Intel Macs?

Thanks!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Leopard is universal. I would not think the drop in would be intel only, but I guess if Apple didn't want peoples installing it on other systems.

rhyndu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
A Planet Orbiting Sol!
Legality Issue Police!

Anyone know if the Leopard Drop In Disc would work on a PPC system like a G5? Or is it just for upgrading the newer Intel Macs?

Thanks!

I doubt it would work... but it would be against your EULA (End User License Agreement), anyway. Those disks are for use on only the machine it came with. I'm sure though that you could use it with a few "hacks" on the CD... are you buying this from eBay?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This post is not meant to attack anyone, least of all JesterJJZ.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i would doubt it as the only reason for it is to give leopard to macs after announcement at which too late to preinstall it

there were only intels being sold at the time so i bet only intel macs would work as only intel macs were sold with the drop in

stop breaking licenses and buy leopard. alot of us own part of apple. why would we help you hurt the company some of us own?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I'm sorry. Looking over my post it looks as if I'm attacking you. I'm not.

Just wondering though... if you own Leopard, why do you want to use a DI DVD?:confused:

I have more than one Mac. "Technically" I only bought one license with Leopard right? I got the upgrade disc with another system that I really don't want to upgrade. Wondered if I could use the upgrade on a different system instead.

And I just answered my own question. Popped it in my G4 and got a kernal panic after booting with "c" Hooray!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I have more than one Mac. "Technically" I only bought one license with Leopard right? I got the upgrade disc with another system that I really don't want to upgrade. Wondered if I could use the upgrade on a different system instead.

I suppose it might be ok if you only use the drop-in on the PPC and not the other machine.

Although that's a pretty slim loophole...

rhyndu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
A Planet Orbiting Sol!

Ahhhh... how I love legal grey zones.... :eek:

In your situation, I'd just not use the DI disk at all & use your original Leopard install disk... you are still legally safe (unless there is the .00001% chance that Apple sues you and and even less likely event that the judge sides with apple...).

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004

I suppose it might be ok if you only use the drop-in on the PPC and not the other machine.

Although that's a pretty slim loophole...

Well either way I'm not upgrading anytime soon. Just sorting out my options in the future. I'm not even sure why I jumped and bought Leopard right away. It's just sitting here! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.