Does the Leopard Drop In Disc work on PPC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JesterJJZ, Dec 28, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Anyone know if the Leopard Drop In Disc would work on a PPC system like a G5? Or is it just for upgrading the newer Intel Macs?

Thanks!

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Leopard is universal. I would not think the drop in would be intel only, but I guess if Apple didn't want peoples installing it on other systems.

3. rhyndu macrumors regular

Legality Issue Police!

I doubt it would work... but it would be against your EULA (End User License Agreement), anyway. Those disks are for use on only the machine it came with. I'm sure though that you could use it with a few "hacks" on the CD... are you buying this from eBay?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This post is not meant to attack anyone, least of all JesterJJZ.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i would doubt it as the only reason for it is to give leopard to macs after announcement at which too late to preinstall it

there were only intels being sold at the time so i bet only intel macs would work as only intel macs were sold with the drop in

stop breaking licenses and buy leopard. alot of us own part of apple. why would we help you hurt the company some of us own?

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

6. rhyndu macrumors regular

I'm sorry. Looking over my post it looks as if I'm attacking you. I'm not.

Just wondering though... if you own Leopard, why do you want to use a DI DVD?:confused:

7. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I have more than one Mac. "Technically" I only bought one license with Leopard right? I got the upgrade disc with another system that I really don't want to upgrade. Wondered if I could use the upgrade on a different system instead.

And I just answered my own question. Popped it in my G4 and got a kernal panic after booting with "c" Hooray!

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I suppose it might be ok if you only use the drop-in on the PPC and not the other machine.

Although that's a pretty slim loophole...

9. rhyndu macrumors regular

Ahhhh... how I love legal grey zones.... :eek:

In your situation, I'd just not use the DI disk at all & use your original Leopard install disk... you are still legally safe (unless there is the .00001% chance that Apple sues you and and even less likely event that the judge sides with apple...).

10. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well either way I'm not upgrading anytime soon. Just sorting out my options in the future. I'm not even sure why I jumped and bought Leopard right away. It's just sitting here! :D