Does the MacBook Air 2018 charge from an iPad charger?

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I'm just curious. Although the charging is somewhat slower than from the usual 29/30 Watt charger, my 2017 MacBook Air charges from an iPad charger just fine. It has a 41.4 Watt-hour battery.

What about the new MacBook Air? It uses the same charger, but has a 50.3 Watt-hour battery. Does it charge, and charge reasonably fast, with an iPad charger?

Why does it matter? Cuz I just keep an extra iPad charger at my workplace, and don't bother carrying around the regular charger. I use the iPad charger at my workplace to charge my MacBook, my iPad, or my iPhone as necessary.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I'm surprised nobody has tried this yet. If the MacBook Air supports this, it would be a definite plus, since having extra iPad chargers where you use your laptop is a cheap and easy way to avoid having to carry around the charger.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I'm surprised nobody has tried this yet. If the MacBook Air supports this, it would be a definite plus, since having extra iPad chargers where you use your laptop is a cheap and easy way to avoid having to carry around the charger.
If I had an iPad I'd try for you but I don't, sorry...

Reactions: EugW

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
For the 12" MacBook, it seems any good quality 2+ amp USB charger works.
I have to go to the Apple Store today so I'll ask and see if they will let me try plugging an Air into an iPad charger when there.. I doubt they will but I'll ask since you can't get an answer..

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
So was at the Apple Store today and they would not let me test... The rep said it will not charge off an iPad charger but take that for what it's worth as I don't think he really knew...

darkmatter343

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
I'm just curious. Although the charging is somewhat slower than from the usual 29/30 Watt charger, my 2017 MacBook Air charges from an iPad charger just fine. It has a 41.4 Watt-hour battery.
It'll charge, but slow. I charged my Macbook 12 off a Samsung Note 9 USB C charger last night, I think it's only 5w, maybe 7 at most. After about an hr, the laptop was at 10% lol...

You probably don't want to do this often because I'm guessing it would stress the adapter to the point of significantly shortening it's life.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Do you mean one of the 10w or 12w iPad chargers? You'd need a USB-A to USB-C cable and I'm not sure the cable would charge at all.

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
You probably don't want to do this often because I'm guessing it would stress the adapter to the point of significantly shortening it's life.
The iPhone chargers are at their max all the time. The iPhones can charge much faster with an iPad charger. A properly designed charger will simply limit the charge to what it can handle.

Do you mean one of the 10w or 12w iPad chargers? You'd need a USB-A to USB-C cable and I'm not sure the cable would charge at all.
I already mentioned in the first post that charging works fine with the iPad charger for my 12" MacBook. This is with a USB-A to USB-C cable of course.