Does the Macbook Pro display have anti-reflective coating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillSR, Jul 9, 2014.

1. WillSR, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

WillSR macrumors newbie

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out as apple support couldn't give me an answer. I'm looking to get a 15" Macbook Pro but I'm trying to find out if it has the anti-reflective 'plasma deposition' coating the newer iMacs have. Surely it does? The base model is $2,000!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is a coating on the MBPs display, I'm not sure if I'd say its anti-reflective but there's a coating.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The rMBP panels have AR coating.

I don't think there are any displays with bare panels, but without AR coating. If there's a glass covering the panel, the coating is on the glass, but if the panel is bare, there's always AR coating or a diffuser on it.

4. WillSR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Very odd that Apple doesn't mention this anywhere for the Macbook Pro retina while calling a lot of attention to this feature in the new iMacs. It's a good selling feature.

5. wct097 macrumors 6502

I sprang for the "antiglare" screen on my old (~2011) MBP. My new Retina MBP is nowhere near as matte as that screen, but I've never really felt like I had a glare issue. Granted I don't typically use my computer outside in the sun, but I've never even had a hit of glare issues like I have on my older machines.

YMMV.

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I've seen others with the retina display on the mac and it looks similar to the iphones retina display or ipad 4 display. There's some glare.

I have no idea about this "plasma deposition" seems like a made up thing. Maybe wait for the refresh perhaps it'll have that? :apple:

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

It is odd. I think they focused on it when the 2012 first came out but don't mention it directly on the current rMBP webpage. As far as I remember the anti-glare plasma deposition stuff is the same on both the rMBP and iMacs. I use my rMBP with an LED display and can tell big differences in the reduced glare due to this process. It's MUCH less of a problem.

8. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

They may have an antiglare coating - but if they do it is crap. The retina screen is amazing - but it is very shiny

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The screen is not billed as a matte screen, there is a coating to reduce the glare not eliminate it. Compared to prior glossy MBPs, it is definitely less glossy but glossy nonetheless.

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Well, at least it's less shiny than previous MBP screens...