Does the Macbookpros still have the FREEZE problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MeroLIVE, Mar 28, 2011.

  1. MeroLIVE macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #1
    I'm going to US in a couple of weeks and I'd like to buy the new macbook pro 15'' but I'm a little worried for the freezing issue.
    Is solved after the new OS update?

    or is still affecting the new machines?



    p.s. what HD I should order? 500 7200 or something SSD (but even the 256 is so expensive)
    and again, is better the antiglare or the glossy screen?
     
  2. random47 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #2
    I believe that the 15" problems have been solved but my 13" i5 freezes all the time:(
     
  3. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #3
    mmmmmmm
    this is not very encouraging..... the machine is very expensive....

    so I don't know what to do..... still waiting for some more details.
     
  4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #4
    10.6.7 solved the problem for most users.

    As far as the HDD goes, the SSD is expensive, but much faster
    For the screen, you need to go to the store and see for yourself. I recommend the high res option.
     
  5. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #5
    I believe the new machines wont have the issue. (hope)
    for the hdd I still have few more days to think about that... maybe I will go for the 500 and after 6 months I will change it with a SSD
    For the high-res screen there are 2 option... but I don't know if one is better than the other
     
  6. Reticent, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

    Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #6
    I was having major issues, and actually returned a few machines (I am currently on my third machine since I purchased it). 10.6.7 update fixed all the issues, I haven't had this machine freeze on me once since the update was released. I've heard some noise from people still having problems. It is possible, because machines have hardware issues occasionally. However, the big hub-ub was fixed by the software/firmware update.

    Buy it. It is waaay more probable than not that you won't have issues. :)

    As far as the HD goes, just go with what you want for now. Just as a heads up, Apple has deemed the HD as user-upgradeable. Therefore, it should be pretty easy to get a third party SSD down the line (hopefully when costs have come down a bit) and put that in later. For that reason, I just went with the base 750 gigs in my machine.
     
  7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #7
    Neither is better than the other. You just need to compare the two and decide.
     
  8. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #8


    thank you.... what do you think about your 750? is quite good or do you feel it a little slow?
     
  9. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #9
    Things may have changed... since I bought my machine and since I worked at the Apple store. But generally, Apple doesn't stock the higher res screens in their stores. It's a build-to-order option, so most likely you'll need to order it from their website.

    Just a heads up. If you are really interested in getting the hi res, call ahead to the store you intend on buying your machine from and just make sure it's in stock.
     
  10. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #10
    I will do that.... do you think will be better to order the mac online or to buy it in the stores (I'm worried the won't have my setup)
     
  11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #11
    They most likely will not have your setup. I would just order online. Be sure to buy Apple Care. Is this your first mac?
     
  12. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #12
    Completely happy with the 750 gig. But I'm not exactly a power user with need for a fast-spinning HD. If you really feel like you need it, go for it. Otherwise, get the 750 and if it's too slow for you look into a 3rd party HD (possibly SSD) and put it in yourself. You'll save a bundle on labor and parts.

    And +1 on Applecare. Get it for sure.
     
  13. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #13
    no my third....

    in the first one I bought applecare but was totally pointless (was a perfect mac).
    in the second (my 2008 macbook unibody) I didn't bought the apple care extension.... and even here no problems


    so why buy the extra year of apple care?
     
  14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #14
    Its an extra 2 years. I always think it's worth it. What if you logic board fails after the 366th day?
     
  15. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #15
    One repair outside of standard warranty period and the thing will pay for itself. One phone call outside of standard warranty period (60 days!) and it almost pays for itself. It's a machine, and unfortunately, machines break down. It's fantastic that you haven't had issues one those two machines... but you really don't want to take the risk. As you've pointed out, this is a really expensive machine you're about to buy. You don't want to lose your investment (or have to pay for an expensive repair on screen, logic board, etc.) just because you didn't buy the applecare. What happens on the 366th day, exactly as pirate pointed out. It's not that much more, and two more years of coverage on a $2000+ machine is totally worth it.
     
  16. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #16

    how much for the apple care extra years?
    will work outside the US?
     
  17. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #17
    Should work outside US, you can ship it to Apple instead of taking it to the store (check with the applestore just to make sure I'm right on this one). And, all the more reason to buy it if you're outside the US because you're going to need to use the phone support if you have an issue and that is only 60 days standard.

    Look on the apple website. I believe it's $349, but if you can get a student discount, it's significantly cheaper. Plus $200 off the machine itself!
     
  18. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #18
    woooow.... 349 are money....
    unfortunately I m not a student... I've read that is easy to buy as a student even if you're not.... is this the right place where to talk about that :D ??
     
  19. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #19
    Do you still have an old student ID? Does the pic still look like you? That'd be enough. Good luck, I hope you love your new MBP whatever you decide to do re: specs and applecare.
     
  20. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #20
    yes I do.....but is an Italian student ID.....
     
  21. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #21
    Bring it. You could try, you got nothing to lose...
     
  22. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    #22
    Yes but if I buy it online.... ?!?!?!
     
  23. Reticent macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Denver
    #23
    Then out of luck I'd think. You could try, go to the apple store website, go to the education store, and then just go for it. I think you have to pick what school you go to, etc. So you'd probably be out of luck.

    I can't recommend going in and lying. But when i worked there I only needed a student ID to convince me to give the discount.
     

Share This Page