Does the MB suite my needs or is it better to get a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitra.candy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. nitra.candy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've been debating between getting a MBP or a MB as my next laptop. My present one is a 15" Toshiba at ~7.5lb so size and weight are no issue. I will be using it mainly for school so a lot of surfing and Office use. Other than that I will be using it to play the Sims 2, (Sims 3, when released and maybe some Spore as well).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I would say if you're not doing anything too CPU intensive then the MacBook should be fine.

3. nitra.candy thread starter macrumors newbie

so you wouldn't consider something like the Sims 2 too graphically intensive for the MB?

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'm not sure...I haven't played it
    What I would do is look at the minimum tech specs required to run Sims 2 and then see if the MacBook meets those requirements

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The CPU in the MacBook and MacBook Pro is exactly the same.

The Sims 2 runs fine on a MacBook and I'm sure Spore will be optimised for running on it too, given that they're developing for Mac from the start and they know how many of the Macs out there are MacBooks.

MacBook will be absolutely fine for your needs :)

6. nitra.candy thread starter macrumors newbie

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The CPUs are the same but the concern with gaming should be about the MacBook's integrated graphics card versus the MBP's card. Needless to say, I looked at the wiki page for the system requirements for the sims and it only requires a 1.2 ghz G4 or G5, a weak graphics card, and 256 MB of ram, so the OP will be fine with a regular MacBook by far!

8. kabunaru Guest

The MacBook will be good enough for you. :)

9. nitra.candy thread starter macrumors newbie

So i shouldn't be worried that Aspyr doesn't support the MB video card? If not do you think this will affect the ability to play Sims 3 when released?

10. jincongz macrumors member

Graphic requirements:

From wikipedia for Spore:

Mac: Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard, Intel Core Duo, 1024 MB RAM, 4.7GB of hard drive space, plus additional space for creations NOTE: This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) Macs (PowerMac). (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, Intel Integrated Chipset GMA X3100, Dual 2.0GHz CPUs, or 1.7GHz Core 2 Duo.)[5]

That means GMA X3100 minimum. Thing is, that's bare minimum. It's like how my comp runs UEFA Euro 2008. Only problem, it lags in the middle of my attacking. Next thing I see, the ball's in my net. For that reason, I believe getting the MBP is worth it.

Try looking here:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
    for the restrictions, put in "8600 X3100", set it to OR, and show both FEAR and Doom 3. You'll see the difference.

11. illidian macrumors 6502

The Sims is not graphics-intensive, you shouldn't worry about it handling The Sims 3 or even 4.

12. nitra.candy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! Though I'm still leaning toward the MBP, feel that I should get something that I can grow with for a bit instead of getting something that barely meets/ just meets my needs for now.

13. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I promise you, the macbook will not just barely meet your needs in comparison with the MBP. There is a speed difference between the two...in 3d graphics, sure. The processor in both is quite fast. The size, I think, is a big difference. If you've got extra money to throw around, either get an external monitor to dock with at your desk or (if you plan to expand your gaming) get a console with the difference in price.

Also, if I may have one more comment: the macbook's current design will let you slip in a new hard drive later on if you need a larger one much more easily than the pro.

14. jincongz macrumors member

Graphics wise

Truth be told, it depends on how much graphics affect you. After play NBA Live 08 on my PSP, my computer's graphics sucked... (Running on a 5600 here). But then, I don't complain at all at the graphics on the virtual console on my wii.

As well, don't just think about what games you will play now, also think about the games you might play in the future? If you plan on playing any games in the future, I'm sure the 8600 will last you much longer. It's a mid-range card, just like my FX5600. It's from 2003, but it still can do some games. How long do you think the X3100 will last? Everyone talks about the longevity of Macs, why limit it to a office and internet browsing machine 2 years into the future? Spore's requirement's oldest card is the X1600, which came out in 05. X3100 came out in 07.

Your choice.

15. keehun macrumors regular

Surfing, office, and Sims should run flawlessly on the MacBook. Macbook Pro is more like video production, etc.

16. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm going to weigh in here as someone who has a Macbook and uses it exclusively for everything. I've got cracks down underneath the palmrest and the pulsing "sleep" light is busted. Cosmetically, the MacBook looks pretty rough. Technically it still runs VERY well (Rev A baseline macbook w/ 2 gigs of RAM and Leopard installed).

If this is going to be your primary computer, go with something durable. If you'll be taking it out of the house with you for school, study, etc. and use a desktop or other machine at home go with the MB. Otherwise, I might suggest a MBP for durability purposes.

17. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I bought a C2D BlackBook to replace a beloved 12" PB. I do a great deal of work with Aperture on RAW files and I have not really missed the dedicated graphics card. That said, if you plan on playing a lot of computer games, a laptop is not for you anyway, screen size being the main issue here. As for durability of the MacBooks, my son in college has abused his to the max and it is holding up well. The case is scratched, but no cracks, and believe me, if something will break this boy will break it!:eek: ( 2 trucks and 1 car. He is now on his own vehicle wise.) I am sure the MacBook will more than suit your needs, but it all comes down to what you REALLY want. :D

18. stone315 macrumors regular

what about macbook versus macbook pro in cad programs? and in java/c compilers?

19. nitra.candy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the info.

But I am still leaning toward the MBP mainly because I really don't feel that I can grow with the MB with the specs the way they are. I am not in a position to have a notebook and a desktop so whatever I get will be my only computer, as well my interest these days are expanding and I don't want to get a machine now then have to get a new one a year later because it can't handle the programs I need.

20. happylau macrumors member

If it's going to be your only computer and you like the MBP then buy it! You won't regret it!! I bought one and it's absolutely flawless!!!
    Have fun :)