Does the MBA have Ethernet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tennis11, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tennis11, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011

tennis11 macrumors member

My orientation people just said I need an ethernet cable for dorm internet. Does the MBA have an ethernet port, and could I have a link to a good cable?

Never live in the past but always learn from it.

2. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

And if the next one gets thunderbolt, there are even suppliers that are going to make gigabit ethernet thunderbolt interfaces! Because Apple's own USB Ethernet interface is 100mbit only.

However with internet access you won't see the difference.

3. pil0tflame macrumors member

Once you have the USB to Ethernet adapter, just about any cheap network cable will work. No sense on spending more than you need to on that.

4. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

A wireless router is just about as much $ as a USB to ethernet adapter, and then you would have 100% freedom within your apartment. They always tell you not to use a wireless router in the dorms, but everyone does it anyways and no one hunts them down.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Wireless routers are better for the web as long as you buy a good one.

I use the ethernet port to drive an old print server.

6. pil0tflame macrumors member

The Apple brand USB to Ethernet adapter is $30. While you can buy a wireless router for $30, it's likely going to be pretty poor quality at that cost.

Some universities/colleges don't enforce their network rules, but some will. It would be a shame to buy a wireless router only to have it banned and still end up needing the USB to Ethernet adapter.

I personally would prefer the wireless router, but the OP might want to find out how strict their school/dorm enforces network policies first.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

yeah, check to see if you are allowed to use a wireless router, and if so, do that (but don't buy a super cheap one, it will suck). Otherwise, just get an adapter and a decently long cable.