Does the MBP dent very easily?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boesky, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I've read that is one of the few problems with the new Aluminum body.

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

In-case hardshell is a good way to prevent this problem. They can dent, plastic can crack...everything has a problem...but it isn't like it will dent when you touch it.

4. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

If you drop it or hit, yes it will probably dent.
    But are those things you are likely to do to a new computer. If you take care of it you won't have a problem.

5. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I think if you take care of it, you shouldn't have a problem.

But like always, there are some freak accidents you just can't prevent.

6. D4F Guest

D4F

Certainly less than the alu MBP's.
    My alu came dented out from the factory. There was no way to set it straight on the desk.
    The new 13" I got looks way more solid.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the nice thing about it is it's aluminum so it wont crack like the plastic laptops. i would rather have a dent than a crack.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're really clutzy or just that paranoid, get Tom Bihn's Brain Cell. It's padded out the wazoo.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Having both a previous gen and new unibody mbp I think the older version was more prone to dents and dings because of the thin aluminum shell. The unibody is more solid and doesn't dent as easily from what I can tell. If you look at old powerbooks (that have not been cared for) you can see what I'm talking about. Looks like hail damage on a car ;)

10. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Kids, the unibodies are still made of aluminum.

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Still dont understand people calling them alu mbps or any variation of that. They have been aluminum since powerbooks

12. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

from 2001 - 03 they were made of titanium actually.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

but since then aluminum-and all MBPs have been aluminum.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It dents very easily, if not moreso than the Classic MBPs- especially the back of the screen and the bottom case where the aluminum is thinnest.

15. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

To me, it seems considerably stronger than the classic PB/MBP design and will not dent as easily.

However, bear in mind it is constructed from Aluminium (a soft metal) and that knocking it, or worse still, dropping it could result in cosmetic scratches or dents.

If you want to minimise the risk, be very careful with it and transport it in a case/sleeve at all times.

16. oregon2 macrumors regular

I have no other Mac to compare to, but I will say this. I have had mine probably three weeks now, I have tried to take very good care, but the other day I walked past, bumped the charging brick, and it came out and fell maybe six inches onto my MBP. There is now a very small, but easily apparent dent on the bottom side, where I'm assuming the metal prong hit it.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

alu is a malleable material and so its quite easy (some say too easy) for the laptop to get dented. Not from normal wear and tear but from knocks for falls. I've read some reports that non-unibody macs could easily be dented from a short fall (even in a protective case). I'm hoping the unibody design mitigates this problem somewhat.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It does not dent easy. People who think it does are reading too much into internet rumor.

Mine was on the floor, I forgot it was there. The lid was closed and I hopped out of bed (all 220 lb's of me) and my heel landed squarely in the middle of the lid.

No dent, no cracked screen, no mark what so ever.

Dents easy? Dont think so....

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen too many forums posts with pictures to believe otherwise. Its great that yours survived but one post does little to refute the higher volume of others complaining that their MBP (MB) is dented

20. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I never stated otherwise, just wanting to throw something out that as random fact.

Anyways, to add my two cents: Ive owned an aluminum G4, aluminum MBP, and an aluminum MBP unibody. The first two dented like crazy while I was trying my damnedest to keep them in good shape. That being said that unibody doesn't dent nearly as easily... just like some have said.

21. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Exactly, and it is because the aluminum on the older models was much thinner as the exterior was just pressed aluminum paneling, and the new unibody is much meatier in its skin. Sure it can be dented fairly easily, but not AS easily as the old powerbooks/mbp.