Does the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter work in Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by todd2000, Mar 14, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just wondering if the Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adapter will work in Windows running via BootCamp on a current Macbook? Has anybody tried it? I read somewhere that you have to remove a pin from the adapter?? That sounds kinda strange to me. What's the deal? Thanks

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is no reason why it shouldn't, and although I haven't tried it before myself, I have seen somebody doing video-out to a projector from a MacBook running BootCamp, and I believe that they were using a mini-dvi adapter.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should work, you may have to have it installed at boot time, but it should work.

TEG

4. DaLazernet macrumors newbie

Yes, I really need to know this too as I just placed an order for a Macbook with intent to use this device's bootcamp with Windows XP specifically projecting it for presentations and training. This could be a problem!

- Eric

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Strange, my friend just did the same thing.... Have we met? :D

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Anybody? I was hoping someone who has actually done this, can confirm that it works?

7. McGiord, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a MacBook and I tried it once, and it didn't work on Windows. I will try it Tomorrow with the reboot to test it.
    However with Parallels Desktop it does work.
    ________
    pot news

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's a passive adapter, there's nothing special about it, or the mini-DVI output. As long as you've installed the drivers from Leopard DVD in Windows, you should be able to hook up a second display with no issues.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Positively yes, it does work (as well as the Mini DVI to DVI Adapter). I use both all the time in both Boot Camp and Parallels. In fact, I depend on them for presentations at client sites.

10. Lazernet macrumors member

Just wanted to thank everyone here... I just confirmed that this does in fact work! (Thank heavens... as I purchased the machine primarily for displaying on a projector while running Windows XP ... I know, I know - the horror, but when you have Windows XP on the same machine as OS X, my staff is bound to start trying/fall in love with the alternative ;-)...

Thanks again all.

- Eric

11. EduardoTuttiBoy macrumors newbie

Macbook mini DVI to VGA Does Work

Using Macbook running Windows XP, simply right-click on the desktop itself (using two fingers on the mouse pad then clicking). An option will be there under "Graphics Output" for "Output to". This will only work if you have correctly connected the mini-DVI to VGA adaptor!

You can have the display on one monitor, both the monitor and DVI output or even extend your desktop.

Enjoy.

Ed Draycott
    Director of Systems Engineering
    Fuzion plc

12. schwassy macrumors newbie

Question:

Does it work running bootcamp, or does it have to be parallels?

Does it work with XP or does it have to be Vista?

Does it work with Macbook, or does it have to be Macbook Pro?

13. all123me macrumors newbie

Sorry, for reviving the thread.

I've just installed Windows XP Professional on my MacBook. I connected the mini-DVI to VGA adapter that is connected to my 19" LCD and when I right-click on the desktop, no "Output ..." option appears and the monitor doesn't receive any signal.

Any ideas on how to solve?

Regards
    Antonio

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Use the Windows' Displays control panel to turn on the secondary display (i.e., the external display connected to the laptops mini-DVI port).

Make sure you have the appropriate display drivers from Apple for Boot Camp installed.

And for the post above yours -
    - works with XP and/or Vista
    - works on a MacBook and/or a MacBook Pro
    - works with Boot Camp and/or Parallels