Does the new 3GS include a sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hojoon0724, Jun 21, 2009.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

It doesn't say on the spec page but I'm pretty sure I didn't need to buy one when I bought the 2g iphone

anyone?

2. TLewis macrumors 65816

Eh? Every iPhone comes with a SIM card.

(When people upgrade to a newer iPhone, the new iPhone comes with a new SIM card, and the old one gets deactivated.)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The phone itself doesn't come with a SIM, but a connection does. Apparently AT&T in the US also gives you a new SIM when you extend your contract :confused:

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Actually in the US, the phones always come with a SIM. There's a great reason behind this. The activation process works in such a way that a phone that is ever successfully activated with a particular sim can always be reactivated on that SIM even if it doesn't have service at all. This means my old iPhone 2G is still a great video iPod Touch-alike device, as well as another potential game playing machine, etc. or perhaps skype? whatever the case it's still useful long after its sim is deactivated.

If you shove just some random other SIM in it, iTunes won't activate (and unlock the phone's screen) without that SIM being associated with an actual account.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The OP doesn't state which country they're in so I'm going by what is the standard over here, and (foolishly?) assuming that most other countries do something similar :)