Does the new AirPort Extreme Sleep HDDs now?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMonarch, Mar 7, 2009.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

After almost 5 years, my AirPort Express finally died [802.11g], and now I'm in need of a new one. I was thinking of upgrading to the AP Extreme, for the wireless file sharing capabilities using an external HDDs.

One of the complaints people had about the extreme was that the external HDD thats connected is always spinning 24/7. I like that when I connect a hardrive to my Mac, it goes to sleep when I'm not using it. I wouldn't want my HDD spinning all the time and its unnecessary wear and tear on the HDD as well as unfriendly to the environment. :)

So does anyone know if Apple has resolved this issue?

Thanks.

2. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I'd like to report that It does put the external HDD back to sleep... But once the HDD goes back to sleep the AirPort fails to 'wake' it back up [Unless I reset it]. Disk sharing on the AirPort Extreme is essentially useless to me.

I'm sending it back :(

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with the AE and everything to do with the Harddrive.

I have a 2008 airport extreme hooked to a seagate xtreme drive. It sleeps if its idle for more than a minute. Then wakes instantly when i open the drive from finder or my desktop.

4. 929406 macrumors regular

so server grade drives sleep automatically and normal drives don't? how much was your drive?

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

6. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

7. zentient macrumors newbie

I'm surprised

This comes as a surprise to me. Surely, with the newly added feature of accessing your HD remotely via the AEBS, it must be possible to wake a HD remotely, no? :confused:

8. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I can hear the HDD spin back up again when I try to access it, but the APE fails to recognize it, and the Finder window just hangs. If I wait a few minutes, I get the server disconnected window and I'm unable to to anything with the disk. The only to make it work again, is if I open AirPort Utility and reset the APE, or if I powercycle the base station.

The HDD works just fine with my Mac. The disk goes to sleep when I'm not using it, or if I put the computer to sleep, and wake back up when I do. I see no reason why one shouldn't expect the same result when using it on the APE. The HDD is an Acomdata for anyone wondering.