Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcthings

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I have an original Apple TV and it runs extremely hot. Sometimes it is borderline too hot to touch. This is severely affecting the temperature of my small bedroom. It is currently 83 in the room, and 72 outside (7:20 pm) with window open.

Does the newest generation Apple TV run significantly cooler than the original generation?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
The first Apple TV is basically a full scale computer, it's capable of booting OS X with a bit of hacking, it's also capable of playing 1080p with a bit of hacking.The new one is basically a cut down iPhone 5 in a shiny black case.

To answer your question, yes, the A5 processors run significantly cooler than an Intel Core CPU, however the issue raises its head if you like jailbreaking, that the current ATV can not be jailbroken.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yes. I had the old ATV and just got the latest one. What a big improvement! 1080p video, much lower operating temperatures, AirPlay, Netflix, and some stuff I don't care about... The only problem is that I'm getting the HDCP error now, even though I didn't for the last movie I watched. @#$% Intel for making HDCP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.