Does The New iMac Have WiFi Issues Like the MBA?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gregpod9, Sep 29, 2013.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the new iMac have WiFi issues such as long latency times when pinging to a router, and wifi disconnections? The reason why that I'm asking is that I returned my MBA last week due to these issues and ordered an iMac.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the 27" late 2012 iMac....apart from the well documented wake from sleep issues which are easy to workaround, I have had no wifi issues with it at all.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

If it has the same Broadcom 802.11ac chip/board, it could potentially have the same issue. However, it may have been fixed by the time the iMac production runs started or not. You may check the Apple Support forums, as I understand there is one Broadcom part# this is affected, and one that is not. This suggests it may be a board or firmware problem, and was fixable. However, if it's an issue in the silicon, there won't be a fix until the chip fault is fixed and a new production run occurs at the fab. This process can take 16 weeks or more. I would suggest waiting until the new iMacs come out, and read the reviews to see if the WiFi issue still exists by then.

The consumer really loses out in these type of issues. First, Broadcom hides the issue from Apple, then Apple finds out and will not acknowledge it while pushing Broadcom for a fix. If there's no firmware workaround, then Apple has to decide whether to come clean and eventually do a recall to replace the faulty hardware (board or chip). This often happens in adoption of a new standard such as 802.11ac, where the first version has several bugs.

I also returned a 2013 Air for this reason, and am just keeping my 2010 Air.

4. Serban Suspended

is not the same chip because of the extra antenna (MBA has 2 antennas).
    so we still waiting from the people that theirs 2013 imacs arrives and tell us if there are any issues.

Mine will be delivered probably mid-late October

5. buysp macrumors 6502

I'm currently troubleshooting with Apple Care in relation to WiFi connectivity issues with my late 2012 iMac.

My 4 iDevices connect flawlessly to my wireless router but my iMac will connect
    40% of the time and when it does it lags and drops again.
    I'm now using the wireless diagnostics tool for Apple to analyse.