Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I was wondering if the new iPad mini 5 has an NFC chip in it so you can make purchases in stores. I know you can use apple pay on previous iPads for buying stuff online, but since the ipad mini is so portable...was hoping Apple would add the ability to use it in stores like an iphone or apple watch

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I was wondering if the new iPad mini 5 has an NFC chip in it so you can make purchases in stores. I know you can use apple pay on previous iPads for buying stuff online, but since the ipad mini is so portable...was hoping Apple would add the ability to use it in stores like an iphone or apple watch
It doesn’t.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
This will answer your question(s).

Ah. I see. It has the NFC controller but can only make in app purchases, not in store purchases because there is no antenna that makes it possible. Oh well.

But what if you pair your apple watch with the new ipad mini? Could you then use your apple watch to make in store purchases?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The article talks about the NFC controller, which the Op was asking about. The mini 3 has the same controller.

That’s good to know. Do you have a link where it’s verified that the controller is identical?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.