Does the new Iphone 3G have fixed speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Looking at that Patient for the new 3G phone im curious as no mention of this was made earlier at least that IM aware of but it looks like there is a speaker now on the top as well.

Is it possible they moved it or now have 2 speakers? Also anyone know if they are increases or making the speaker sound better? I can hardly watch a movie with it unless I have headphones on...

This alone makes the new phone worth it to me!

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

The current iPhone has a speaker on top...

It's how you hear people when you're on the phone with them.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

No, the current iPhone has a speaker on the bottom left. The OP wasn't talking about the ear-speaker.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I haven't looked at the *patent*, but it may look like the current iPhone that has a microphone and speaker at the bottom. They look identical, but they're for opposite purposes.

I also don't get all the complaints I read about the built-in speaker. It's not exactly easy to make speakers that small sound like bigger ones. Bose makes good tiny ones, but go check the prices on them. Earbuds cost $100. If you want decent sound quality, you'll have to use headphones.

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Well then, no, they will not add an actual room speaker to the top sensor/speaker bar. There's not enough room.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed.:cool:

7. neven macrumors 6502a

Many other phones - some smaller - have a better speaker. By "better" I mean louder and clearer.

It doesn't bug me as I almost never use the speaker, but truth be told, it could use some improvement.

8. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Since no one has seen the new iPhone- how could anyone answer your question? Ask after the phone is released.....:)

9. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I know he wasn't, but look at the diagram on the patent and there is a thing labelled speaker at the top where the current ear speaker is... I was trying to clarify that that is very likely the ear speaker the diagram is referring to.

10. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

BS. The speakers in my old LG CU500 are easily twice to three times as loud as my iPhone with no distortion of sound period. Also, the part of the phone they fit in is thinner than the iPhone's body. Apple skimped on the 1st gen iPhone's speaker...That's it really. They made a bad decision buying it from whomever they bought it from.

11. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I agree with you... I had a blackjack 1 before the iphone which is pretty thin and the speaker in that phone rocked not to mention that I could actually hear the speaker phone.

Also, has anyone else notice that even though there are two grills on the bottom of the phone that the sound only comes from one side... I listen to music and use the speaker phone function and find that everything comes from one side... is the other side just the microphone? If that is the case then the iphone doesn't even play stereo which may be the reason why the volume is capped so low. Otherwise all that sound coming through a single speaker would surely blow it out.

12. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I just got an iphone the other day. Love it by the way. My husband was amazed that those little speakers can actually put out so much. He really wasn't expecting it to be so nice. I can actually hear what I am listening to with the speakers. At times I would say that I should use the ear buds that came with it to hear it better but for the most part it is pretty good.
    I listened to a song from it in the car while I had my window open and heard it just fine.

13. markym07931 macrumors regular

does the new iphone have a....

built in coffee maker..

ok.. i know i'm a noob to the forums, but i've been lurking for ages... i'm getting bored of the whole.. does the new iphone have or have not threads....

but anyway.. back to my question... will it iron my clothes for me? ;)

14. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I just want to be able to hear it ring. It pretty much has to be in my pocket for me to know it's ringing.

I think the ear piece is quiet too, but it isn't as bad as the speaker on the bottom. Only time I have trouble with it is in loud places or when I'm driving my wrangler.

My brother has a Blackberry Pearl and the speaker on that is waaaay louder than my iPhone.

15. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

This is spiraling into a discussion on who has the best speakers....back to the op.

The patent only shows a rough representation of what is to be included. The speaker at the top is just showing that there is a speaker for hearing calls.

16. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Actually, the other phones were mentioned as a reference to the fact that just because the device is small, doesn't mean it has to have crappy speakers...which it does.

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The new iPhone will have new speakers which are louder and more powerful, in response to complaints regarding the rather quite difficult-to-hear iPhone speakers.