Does the new Iphone 5 use USB 3.0?

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
If you're right, it's amazing to what lengths Apple will change a device but still not change something that would be useful and backwards compatable because originally usb 3.0 went against the thunder$bucks connection.

Reactions: MagnusVonMagnum

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
USB 3 doesn't matter in the iPhone.

Just because it has flash memory doesn't mean that it's secretly a 500mbits SSD that does email! The iPhone can't even max USB 2's transfer rate, so don't worry about USB 3.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
I'm sure it can transfer data faster than usb 2.0. I've seen transfer rate on wireless at 1MB/sec. So I could see it reading data that fast. With a 64GB iPhone transfering about 50GB of music files is very LONG time on usb 2.0.

Just because it has flash memory doesn't mean that it's secretly a 500mbits SSD that does email! The iPhone can't even max USB 2's transfer rate, so don't worry about USB 3.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

This is probably true, or iPhones wouldn't take so damn long to start up. :p

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
While the 5 is USB 2 I bet Lightning is USB 3 (and maybe Thunderbolt) forward compatible. So the next iPhone (or iPad) could be USB 3.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
While the 5 is USB 2 I bet Lightning is USB 3 (and maybe Thunderbolt) forward compatible. So the next iPhone (or iPad) could be USB 3.
The question is why would it matter. The port is there mainly to sync your phone to your computer and USB 3 really won't impact the sync that much - just my opinion

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't be surprised at all if sometime over the next 5 years, there's a Lightning/USB 3 cable. Or a Lightning/Thunderbolt cable. And you'll be able to plug that cable into whatever 2012 generation iDevice you like. But you'll still get less than USB 2 speeds. Because the device itself is the bottleneck. USB 2 can handle 480 Mb/sec, or around 30 MB/sec in real life. And most likely the flash memory and interface controllers can't handle anything faster.

I'm sure the geniuses at Apple could have out a fancy blue USB 3 end on the current Lightning cable. But then everyone would be bitching that their phone was only transferring data at USB 2 speeds.

Clint

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I'm sure it can transfer data faster than usb 2.0. I've seen transfer rate on wireless at 1MB/sec. So I could see it reading data that fast. With a 64GB iPhone transfering about 50GB of music files is very LONG time on usb 2.0.
1 MB/second is around USB 1.1 speeds (12 Mb/sec). So I'm not sure what your point is.

Clint

Eugen Mezei

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2015
The question is why would it matter. The port is there mainly to sync your phone to your computer and USB 3 really won't impact the sync that much - just my opinion
My main use is to dl the pictures and movies I take with the 5s. I have 32 GB in the phone, downloading this amount of data from it to the computer for shure will be a lot faster with USB3. So for me it does matter a lot.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
My main use is to dl the pictures and movies I take with the 5s. I have 32 GB in the phone, downloading this amount of data from it to the computer for shure will be a lot faster with USB3. So for me it does matter a lot.
I'm only here because I got a watched thread notification. Are you aware you replied to a thread that's 4.5 years old?

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.