Does the new Iphone 5 use USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starstreak, Sep 15, 2012.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

Does it use usb 3.0 to connect to the computer, or still using the old 2.0?

2. maclook macrumors 65816

http://brockerhoff.net/blog/2012/09/13/boom-2/
    "It’s as yet unknown whether Lightning will, in the future, support the new USB 3.0 spec – the current Lightning to USB cable supports only USB 2.0. This would require 4 (instead of 2) data pins, which is well within the connector’s capabilities."

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

If you're right, it's amazing to what lengths Apple will change a device but still not change something that would be useful and backwards compatable because originally usb 3.0 went against the thunder$bucks connection.

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

USB 3 doesn't matter in the iPhone.

Just because it has flash memory doesn't mean that it's secretly a 500mbits SSD that does email! The iPhone can't even max USB 2's transfer rate, so don't worry about USB 3.

5. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Is this actually true?

6. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure it can transfer data faster than usb 2.0. I've seen transfer rate on wireless at 1MB/sec. So I could see it reading data that fast. With a 64GB iPhone transfering about 50GB of music files is very LONG time on usb 2.0.

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

This is probably true, or iPhones wouldn't take so damn long to start up. :p

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes. iPhone flash memory speed is about 20 mb/sec.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While the 5 is USB 2 I bet Lightning is USB 3 (and maybe Thunderbolt) forward compatible. So the next iPhone (or iPad) could be USB 3.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The question is why would it matter. The port is there mainly to sync your phone to your computer and USB 3 really won't impact the sync that much - just my opinion

11. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised at all if sometime over the next 5 years, there's a Lightning/USB 3 cable. Or a Lightning/Thunderbolt cable. And you'll be able to plug that cable into whatever 2012 generation iDevice you like. But you'll still get less than USB 2 speeds. Because the device itself is the bottleneck. USB 2 can handle 480 Mb/sec, or around 30 MB/sec in real life. And most likely the flash memory and interface controllers can't handle anything faster.

I'm sure the geniuses at Apple could have out a fancy blue USB 3 end on the current Lightning cable. But then everyone would be bitching that their phone was only transferring data at USB 2 speeds.

Clint

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

1 MB/second is around USB 1.1 speeds (12 Mb/sec). So I'm not sure what your point is.

Clint