Does the new iPhone iOS4 wipe content?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BedlamGoliath, Jun 21, 2010.

1. BedlamGoliath macrumors newbie

Does the new software update wipe all songs/apps/contacts/etc. from the phone, or is all that still there?

2. MasterZ macrumors member

yes deletes everything, but you sync it and everything will go back.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

For most it will be restored after the firmware is updated.

However just to be sure force it to backup then do the update so just in case if yours did not get restored then you can always restore from the backup and all your settings, files, apps, etc... are restored.

4. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Yeah, not gonna lie....it wiped everything.

About to rage and throw this damn thing away.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

Have you tried to restore it from backup? That is if one was done recently.... which iTunes should of been doing

6. MasterZ macrumors member

Haha i felt the same way my phone came on.. and NOTHING was there. then I realized oh wait I Have to sync my phone and voila there everything was!

7. appleii2mac macrumors regular

Mine didn't delete anything. 32 GB 3GS, updated to iOS4, and all my songs and apps were there when it was done.

8. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I updated my 3GS with no issues, and all my data and music were still there. I had done a sync last night though in preparation for the switch to ios4..

9. BedlamGoliath thread starter macrumors newbie

Dammit. Here's the problem.

My main device was a MacBook, which fried on me over two months ago. Now I have to transfer all of my music, write my contacts down, and write my apps and put them on a new computer. I'm getting the new phone this week, so I'm not going to bother with this update. If I were to update it I would lose everything. The music is what I care about the most since a majority of it fills my iPhone.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Ditto. After the update all my stuff was still there. I did a sync after just in case but it wasn't needed.

11. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Yup, backed up this morning before work.

Everything gone, texts, contacts, photos etc. I'm pretty much done with this now.

12. SunnyP macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar boat. Well my phone updated fine on my MBP but my father has a PC with Windows 7 and after the update everything was there except his contacts. So I decided to restore and I saw that it backed up the file from before I updated. Then I restore and for some odd reason I didn't see the original file anymore. It makes no sense because on my other PC the old backups don't get deleted and on this new update it decides to magically delete the old backup? Something is fishy here...

13. Hawtrawk macrumors newbie

If I have music/playlists that I manually managed and put on my ipod touch. Will everything be deleted when upgrade to ios4? music and playlists?
    :confused:

14. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes but it should get restored. But you should force it to backup then if your stuff did not get restored you can restore it from the backup and it will be there.

15. Hawtrawk macrumors newbie

even without the files being synced to itunes?

16. wardev macrumors regular