Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeepy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Hi all,

As the title says... I have used my old friends 4 and 4s for many years without a screen protector and hardly see a scratch on them today, aside from a few surface scratches only visible from certain angles/in certain lighting. I only used a bumper case with a back panel, which has saved the phones from the inevitable hand full of accidental drops over the years.

I wonder if the new SE is as scratch resistant as the 4 was... Any experiences (perhaps also with the 8 if that's similar)?

I'm asking because I prefer the iPhone with the minimal amount of added bulk, to enjoy its original design. But I do baby my phones and want to do what's necessary to keep these sleek expensive little machines looking as new for as long as possible, even if a screen protector is what it takes...

Thank you in advance!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Screen protectors offer one solution only, it protects against smudges and scratches. There’s no iPhone display on the market ‘durable’ to avoid any everyday usage without the use of a screen protector, it’s completely optional. If you opt for a screen protector, invest in a quality one where it can be installed either professionally or by someone that knows how to properly , and you should barely notice it’s attached to the display. Your use cases may vary.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
The question is do you need a screen protector, only you can answer that.

And I don’t get what a screen protector has to do with adding bulk.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Nobody uses their phone exactly like you use yours. Only you will be right for you. Everyone else will be wrong. “Bulk”? That’s about like a fly on an elephant’s ass.

Reactions: MartyvH

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I would use a screen protector on any new device personally. I use a case also, but if I had to choose over a case and a screen protector I'd choose the latter. Iphones gather micro-scratches on their screens incredibly easily. There's no bulk with a screen protector and unless you get one of those ones which causes a rainbow effect you'll probably forget it is even there.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Get AppleCare with the phone and get service in case the screen gets damaged.

Jeepy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks guys! I guess "bulk" wasn't the right word to use here. I simply meant I'd prefer the phone as is, with no additional layers. But if that means scratches then I do want a screen protector. I was going for a case either way, because the screen or glass back will obviously crack if dropped without one. Now I'm thinking a case that hides the edges of the screen protector might be good.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks guys! I guess "bulk" wasn't the right word to use here. I simply meant I'd prefer the phone as is, with no additional layers. But if that means scratches then I do want a screen protector. I was going for a case either way, because the screen or glass back will obviously crack if dropped without one. Now I'm thinking a case that hides the edges of the screen protector might be good.

While this is just my anecdote, I often use my 8+ without a case and when dropped it hasn’t shattered the front or rear glass. So this may or may not be similar with the lighter SE.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
With screens susceptible to scratching etc. the way they are, I would just get a screen protector with any model. I had one supplied and fitted on my XS by a shop, expertly positioned (by hand), for US$20. After 19 months it still looks like a new one, apart from the oleophobic coating gone (the lack of which is invisible if it's clean). No lifting or cracks anywhere. Worth every cent.

The idea of a screen protector is to be cheaper than a new screen. When it gets scratched, you just take it off and put a new one on. Far better than a scratched screen that you can't do anything about.

Last edited:

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I've had my SE since launched bought a couple of screen protectors that never fitted properly, lifting around the edges so i gave up.

The screen on my SE is still perfect not a scratch or micro scratch to be seen, my iPhone 7 screen was also pristine even after a year of use as was my original iPhone SE.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If it wasn't for the edges of the screen protector I wouldn't know it's there. It doesn't add bulk at all. Back in the day of plastic screen protectors I can see this being a question but today with glass ones the better question would be why not use a screen protector.

As to brands I'm using a $12 one from Walmart. If you're not extremely careful and do it in a dust free environment you'll get stuff under it. It's best to have it done by someone if possible.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
If it wasn't for the edges of the screen protector I wouldn't know it's there. It doesn't add bulk at all. Back in the day of plastic screen protectors I can see this being a question but today with glass ones the better question would be why not use a screen protector.

As to brands I'm using a $12 one from Walmart. If you're not extremely careful and do it in a dust free environment you'll get stuff under it. It's best to have it done by someone if possible.
My glass screen protector came in a 3 pack - did all the cleaning, installed the protector and there were some dust specks. Pulled it off did a wipe down, installed the 2nd one and success - no dust specks. I used a small Maglite (flashlight) and shined it over the surface to detect any dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.