Does the new iPhoto allow viewing by tags?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by whohasaquestion, Oct 23, 2013.

1. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

I tagged all my photos back when I was still "stuck" with a PC. Switched to Mac 2 years ago, and iPhoto doesn't allow tag...it instead displays photos by "Events"...not liking this solution very much. Now that Maverick makes a big deal about tagging, I wonder if iPhoto allows tagging and displays photos by tag? That would be very useful for me. Tagging a document, however, is not as intuitive/helpful to me. As you can tell I haven't yet installed 10.9 so I need you guys to tell me.

Merci beaucoup!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

And to parse it a bit further do tags incorporate what iPhoto or Aperture called keywords?

If you tag a photo via the Finder (like say you are using a referenced iPhoto or Aperture library and your photos are stored externally to the library), does iPhoto (or Aperture) recognize those tags?

I've been frustrated with the fact that regular file metadata (and as I understand it Mavericks tags are sorta similar to, if not a species of, open meta file attribute tags) doesn't correspond with IPTC and other photo metadata. So I'm assuming tags/keywords/captions etc created in photo cataloging applications still won't be part of the the Mavericks tags.

3. mariva macrumors newbie

mariva

I agree with the OP.

In my opinion, everything should be taggable -- and with the full range of colors available as well. (Not just Apple's standard eight colors: red through gray + white/noncolored.)