Does the New Mac Mini Have Dual-Band Wireless N?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BoulderBum, Mar 10, 2009.

1. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

So I see from the product description that the Mac Mini has "built in Airport Extreme wireless N WiFi", but I'm unsure of what that means.

Does the Mac Mini have dual band wireless N WiFi, or does it only operate on the 2.4 GHZ band?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All Apple 802.11n products can operate on 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz. The brand new base stations can operate on both at the same time.

3. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, very helpful. Thanks.

You might know the answer to this question, too. How is the Airport Extreme's ability to "operate on both at the same time" different than any other dual-band N router in mixed mode?

4. belvdr macrumors 601

It's because the AEBS has two radios now, whereas other 802.11n products use one radio and have to run in mixed-mode. In the AEBS, you can have 802.11n running in the 5Ghz spectrum thereby keeping the speed up.

5. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, does that mean you can set the radios up to run as two completely different wireless networks?

Also, does anyone know of somewhere that has benchmarks for the unit yet? I have an Apple TV, a dual-band NIC for my PC, then a bunch of wireless G devices (iPod, iPhone, printer, work laptop) and the idea of separating those networks sounds very appealing, potentially. I'd love to see my dual-band devices take full advantage of their potential without being dragged down by older devices.

6. SnapperNZ macrumors newbie

That's only partly true - there are other products offering simultaneous dual band. I think the Linksys WRT610N for example, offers the same technology.

I best go check the Linksys site now I've said this, but I'm pretty sure it does.

7. SnapperNZ macrumors newbie

8. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I think OP is confused. The good thing about dual-band mode is that it can broadcast N and G signals at the same time, allowing N and G devices to operate at the same time without interfering each other or slowing each other down. Therefore, devices are already on a different spectrum and will not interfere with each other.

I do not think you can set up two different networks for the N and the G.

Also, the Mac Mini isn't dual-band. It's N. But it does contain G (and B and A).

9. Smacky macrumors 6502

The new mac mini does not have dual band wireless N

10. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may not know much about networking, but I do know that dual-band is not G and N at the same time, rather it's wireless N router running on the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ band (5 GHZ being newer/faster/less interferance, but not supported by older wireless N cards).

For instance, I currently have the D-Link DIR-655 wireless N router running in "mixed mode" (G and N at the same time). The DIR-655 is NOT a dual-band router, however. For dual band I'd need something like the DIR-855, which D-Link notes:

Apple techs said otherwise, but I think you might be right.

Apparently the two access-point approach is supported by any router calling itself "true dual band".

This, to me, implies that there are some routers out there that aren't "true dual band" (only one access-point?), but I must admit I don't understand it all yet.