Does the new Magic Mouse work on a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sparkie7, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Mine didn't. Using W7. the mouse just shut itself off. Gotta wait for some new boot camp drivers I guess.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Please please Apple release windows drivers! I badly wanna take this bad boy to work with me!

5. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

Works fine for me using Bootcamp and Win XP SP3. Obviously the multi touch features don't work, but still use able as a two button mouse.

6. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

How did you get it to sync and work? When I tried in Bootcamp, it would sync but nothing else happened-pointer would not move.

Using XP SP3 as well.

Thanks!

7. psj macrumors newbie

And my wife is FURIOUS as her pc is not supported.

Come on Apple, don't break my marriage.

8. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

9. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Yeah it works as a 2 button mouse on my windows 7 machine at home. I'm not sure about xp though (that's what I have at work) I don't need the multi touch, just scrolling.

10. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

Under Control Panel I clicked on the Bluetooth icon to add a new bluetooth device, and then through the "add a device wizard" it searched for the magic mouse and found it, the mouse has to be on of course, it asked me for a passkey and I just chose 0000, it should work without one as well, good luck!

11. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Well considering this is a mouse made by *Apple* for their *Macintosh* computers, I can't see why everyone is complaining so much.

Where does it say "PC compatible"?.

Apple make Macs - they make Boot Camp as a bonus extra - doesn't mean ALL their products are going to be seamlessly 110% PC compatible - that isn't in their business interest, particularly.

Apple want you to be persuaded to move to the Mac platform, and rightly so.

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Well except for the fact that you are wrong-good post. It DOES work in Windows. And Apple would be crazy to NOT make it work in windows.

This is just one more opportunity for Apple to show how much superior their products are. BEST.MOUSE. EVER. IMO.

13. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

It is very common for users to have both a windows pc and an os x pc. With this mouse being bluetooth it is very good and easy to use the same mouse on windows also. It's just good business and an advantage to open up the product to a bigger market.

14. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Sure enough, this is an amazing mouse and I can see why the windows users want one, even if they can only make use of basic left & right click functionality. Having said that, can you see that my point is this; the mouse is made by Apple, who make Macs, and is first and foremost for users of Macintosh computers + Mac OS X, and not designed for windows. The fact that separate drivers may work for windows, is a great boon and no doubt a delight for the Microsoft install-base.

I can clearly see the points you're all making, but the bottom line is that, on the bottom of the box, there is *no* mention of anything windows whatsoever, and I hardly think that Apple would have lost a moments sleep, or a noticeable source of revenue, had they NOT written drivers for windows - they're not in business to supply peripheral devices to be 100% compatible with each and every OS out there, it is just a happy medium to show that they're not alienating windows or Linux/*nix users (yes, it works with basic left & right click in Ubuntu 9.10, 32 bit - I tried it, although I rarely use Linux).

Apple's primary business model is to make life simple and logical, and I think it would have been HIGHLY illogical of them to have made Magic mouse to not be windows compatible whatsoever, but of course, they want people to buy Macintosh computers, so the extras like gestures are reserved for Leopard users, and even then, if you want momentum scrolling, you're going to have to upgrade to Snow Leopard to get this.

The inescapable truth is that Apple make Macs, not windows. Two of my windows using friends have both said how beautiful and lovely to use, Magic mouse is. By allowing windows users *just enough* functionality to be usable, but requiring a Macintosh computer for the full feature set, I think this is a cunning & wise use of "the halo effect" ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

15. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I have to TOTALLY agree-Hook them in, a little at a time :)

16. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Very insightful... I might just get a couple for Christmas gifts for a few PC friends this year. Oh wait, they're $69--I don't like them that much. Maybe just one, then.