Does the new MBP 13 inch really get 10 hours?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roxygal9, Apr 16, 2010.

1. roxygal9 macrumors regular

Anyone have the new 13 in mbp and whats your battery life like doing different things (watching videos, surfing, itunes, etc)?

2. bjones521 macrumors regular

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I'm planning on getting the 13" possibly as soon as tonight (depending on my schedule) and I would really like to know too!

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

5. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not 10 hours. That's only if the screen is at 1 brightness and idling I believe. All you can say is that the battery life is better, but by how much it's not certain. I would say that doing what you're doing at full brightness, you're looking at 5 hrs, 30 minutes max. That is still outstanding for a laptop, but for the average consumer who takes their laptop home and starts actually using it like a normal person would and goes where is my 10 hours? It's an appropriate reaction b/c the laptop industry blatantly lies.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

So since the 15" actually gets 8 hours with itunes and safari on wifi, can we safely assume that the 13" may get like 9-9.5 hours?

7. thechungster macrumors regular

No, it states at the bottom in the smallprint that they conduct the tests at half brightness with wifi on whilst browsing and typing a document I think

8. Hobbit macrumors member

Apple website says 10 hours of wireless browsing.

Will be able to let you know when the volcano in Iceland is over!

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

As defined by Apple I'm guessing ~9 hours which is outstanding! That bat life is the main reason I ordered the 2010 13" MBP. I should have this laptop on Wed and will post the actual bat life.

FWIW, my 2.66GHz mid-2009 only gets about 3 1/2 hours with WIFI ON and a few Firefox windows open.

regards
    JohnG

10. Ralzy macrumors member

I got a little over 8 hours with web browsing and downloading with the lower end model. I don't remember the brightness setting but it was probably around 70%.

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Damn thats hella good!!

12. roxygal9 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone think that the lower end may get better battery life than the higher end 13 mbp?:)

13. chkenwing macrumors regular

Usually when I'm browsing the internet, it fluctuates between 4-7 hours since I visit a lot of websites like youtube, facebook, twitter which all 3 are quite intense considering the updating of facebook, youtube's flash.

I have gotten 9:50hours shown on my battery meter after waking up the MBP up from it's power saving state when you leave it on it's own.

14. raptor87 macrumors newbie

I would imagine they would be very close for things like web browsing where the cpu is throttled down.

15. cronin1024 macrumors newbie

Sadly I've gotten much less than 10 hours for my usage. I just unplugged it and the battery meter reports 4:37 left. Granted, I'm torrenting on wifi and charging my iPhone, but it's still far, far short of 10 hours. Next week, when I get some time, I'll perform a more accurate test, but I've been pretty disappointed at the supposed "10 hour" battery life.

16. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

I just picked up one of these bad boys yesterday and i can confirm that 10 hours is a reasonable battery life estimate. I powered through an essay last night with itunes, wiki, facebook, google and pages and hit 9:57 before the damn thing finally needed a charge. No flash content probably had something to do with it.

As a side note this new 320m equipped model runs much cooler than the 9400m one it replaced.

17. nicksmac macrumors newbie

18. dnkbro macrumors regular

Cool! What was the brightness set at?

19. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

5 notches of brightness and 1 notch for the backlit keyboard (yes i was keeping track of everything for the battery test). :D

20. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

I'm getting about 5 hours non-stop, full brightness etc on the 13" 2.4GHz model - compared to around 3.5 hours on my Macbook Air. Running Second Life Viewer 2 at 180% CPU and 70% Memory usage around 3 hours. It's a lovely machine :)

21. roxygal9 thread starter macrumors regular

So it seems that Apple's claimed 10 hr battery life is pretty accurate if your doing what it describes than?

22. trieuth macrumors newbie

I've got the 2.4, and with brightness at 60% and backlit at 3, wifi on, but bluetooth off. Just browsing forums and checking hockey scores on safari over 3 days it lasted about 11 hours for me.

23. cronin1024 macrumors newbie

I'm currently running an unscientific test to see how much battery life I can squeeze out of mine. So far with wifi on, brightness on minimum, keyboard backlight and bluetooth off with minimal programs (Mail, Chrome, etc) it's discharging at about 11% per hour, for an estimated life of 9 hours.

24. Agnel macrumors member

I keep my backlit off, brightness at 40 - 50 %, bluetooth off and wireless on.. and must have been on YT for like 10-30 mins. Had 3-5 apps open...

It lasted about 7 - 8 hours. I've let it completely drain only twice... and since then.. I try to use it plugged in. Guess it saves the battery life.

But one annoying thing is, the battery life(hours remaining) keeps changing very often. And one really can't tell unless you hit the battery meter button on the left of the MBP. Maybe, it'll take a while to get used to it.

25. cronin1024 macrumors newbie

It ended up lasting 7 hours 45 minutes. Apart from disabling a core or popping out a DIMM I don't know how you can get 10 hours of "wireless productivity" (which I assume means "wifi" and not "on battery"). It's moderately disappointing, but it's still better than the previous generation and most of the competition.