Does the new MBP trackpad take some getting used to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsir2009, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Does the new MBp track pad take some getting used to? Because clicking on the whole surface seems weird and unnatural to me lol...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is always "tap to click" which you can use instead of actual clicking, but other than that you get used tot he trackpad in less than a week.

[​IMG]

If you install BetterTouchTool you can add additional gestures so you can customize it almost as much as you like.

After using the uMBP's trackpad for over a year now, it is always strange to use a non-multi-touch trackpad, especially for the missing gestures.

3. mrklaw macrumors 65816

a *tiny* bit of getting used to. I use my thumb like I do on other trackpads and only tend to click on the bottom third of the pad. I have tap to click turned off because I hate getting false clicks. I also have right click set up as 'rest one finger on the trackpad and then click with another finger'

Overall its the best trackpad I've ever used.

4. ttopp macrumors regular

dragging was a pain at first but you can use two fingers for that. hold the button with your thumb and use other finger to drag.. apart fi that it was well easy to get used to..

the multi touch is great i hate using a pc track pad now lol

5. vant macrumors 65816

There is a brief period where it is unnatural, but after that everything else seems inferior.

6. Beaverfish macrumors regular

Takes a little bit of getting used to but once you go glass you'll never go back!

7. copykris Suspended

copykris

you don't HAVE to click on the WHOLE surface, you can just click at the bottom if you feel it suits you better

it's a flexible system that way

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You'll love it within a couple of tries.
    Clicking you get used to mostly - I personally prefer clicking the one button trackpad sometimes over just tapping, but that's just old habits dying hard.

The multitouch gestures (e.g. 3 finger and 4 finger ones) are definitely v. useful - set up expose, see desktop etc

9. jll62 macrumors regular

It took a few days to get used to things, but once I started dragging with two fingers and using Tap to Click, it became a far superior system to anything I had used previously. It definitely becomes second nature after a short while.

10. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

I felt a bit like you at the beginning... I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get used to it, or like it for that matter. But within a day or two after I got my MBP, I had already a good hold of it and honestly it is great! Now, I'm having a hard time using another notebook's pad...:p

11. wastedminutes macrumors newbie

wastedminutes

I used my friend's Macbook with the glass trackpad, and then went back to using my mums Win laptop and was trying to click all over the place. This is gonna sound really fanboyish, but the glass trackpad feels really natural :rolleyes:

12. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

How I use the glass trackpad:
    - Never physically click it. If you do, it'll only slow you down. Turn on Tap to click and use it, double-tap+hold for dragging, double-tap for double click.
    - While dragging, you can even let got of the trackpad for a second to reposition your finger and it won't release the object you're dragging. It's really smart about it.
    - Get used to using four fingers down/up for Exposé and Show Desktop. It's a lifesaver shortcut :D

Needless to say I absolutely love my glass trackpad. I once even used my friend's original MacBook and it was soooo crap compared to my UMB's trackpad!

13. cube macrumors G5

Tap to click sucks. I don't know if there is actually a PC where this works properly.

14. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Works great on my Aluminum MacBook :|

15. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

If you're used to have a trackpad button at the bottom of the trackpad, you'll probably just click the bottom half of the trackpad all the time and you won't notice much :p

16. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

It doesn't take much getting used to. Once you do, you'll love it. You can click at the bottom of the trackpad, by the way.

17. cube macrumors G5

It works for YOU. It doesn't work in general.

18. stevemiller macrumors 65816

in general on computers or in general on macs? i'm not being a fanboy, lord knows i have a hate-on for certain things they do, but i think the trackpad is one they got right.

19. cube macrumors G5

Both Macs and PCs where I have tried fail. I disable it, it's unusable.

20. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

Coming from a powerbook I was worried weather I was going to like the new touch pad. After a day of use and enabling the touch to click and the right click. I have to say I simply love it. Very easy to learn the other commands as well and much faster than other ways.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Agreed. It didn't take long getting used to it. Now I find it very convenient and miss it on the laptops that don't offer it.

22. elfen macrumors newbie

I've come from a PC to a Mac, and I'm not having too much of a problem coping with the trackpad. Is a little strange at first, but now I'm so used to it if I try and use a PC I try and do the same as a Mac - I like being able to click and working out the right click was fun

23. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009