Does the new Samsung Spinpoint M6 500GB drive fit in a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by terryblyth, May 16, 2008.

1. terryblyth macrumors regular

I know it's not widely available yet, but I've sourced it in France. I just wondered if anybody had put one of these in, and if so are you happy with it?

I'm also not entirely convinced it'd work with my C2D 2.16GHz MacBook, but as I'm ordering from abroad I'd quite like to know before I pull the trigger on one of these bad-boys.

Ta!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's the correct size (2.5") and height (9.5mm). No reason for it not to work...

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep it's gonna work,any chance of that link to the supplier in france? as it sure is taking it's time showing up in the UK

4. terryblyth thread starter macrumors regular

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks,there is a 500GB hitachi thats just come onto the market that users have reported to be running Ok,only one problem if you don't own a 17'' MBP it wont fit as it's 12.5mm thick
    My only concern with these drives would be if the motor would be powerful enough to drive it,but only time would tell that

Also do you know if this supplier ships to the UK and how one would go about it plus shipping costs ?,unfortunately my knowledge of french is practically zilch

6. terryblyth thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty certain they ship to the UK. I started placing a dummy order, and got quite a way through the process.

I'm afraid my knowledge of French is less than yours, but using a bit of logic I managed to get a reasonable distance through the ordering process. I'd definitely be borrowing a French-speaking friend before I go through and order one though!

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep done they same as you with the ordering process but came to halt again someway through,anyways have sent you a pm

8. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Any further word on this project?

BTW, I just visited the site and read this:

Ce produit n'est pour l'instant pas en stock soyez prévenu dès son arrivée en stock,

which means, you guessed it, not yet available. Did they sell out or did they not get them in yet?

9. thebob macrumors newbie

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I tried ringing them from the UK,but must have got through to the only person in france that doesn't speak english so to answer your question i don't know

Thanks for the link,but shipping to the UK might be a tad to expensive

11. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The french are terrible english speakers! They are far too proud of the french language or "la langue de Molière" as they call it.

By the way, the website still says that it's unavailable and may be removed from the catalogue.

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks,but thats abit of a bummer, anyone know where to get hold of either the samsung or hitachi 500GB in the UK??????

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is this the one? Google really does have the answers if it is (first page result for a the search 500Gb SATA 2.5 site:co.uk)

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I was going to order that until I saw the price. Plus 50 dollars shipping to the United Kingdom. Plus whatever Customs knock on. When it finally hits the UK in a few months, should be under £200 hopefully.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks robbie thats the one,i did try google but that site you linked to didn't show, i would prefer a samsung as there 9.5mm,but the hitachi does fit in a 17" MBP

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cool! Probably depends on the exact search terms...

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

if you have a 17" pro the hitachi that robbie linked to is under £200

18. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Just got a samsung 500gb in my macbook today, a chap is selling them on ebay for about £135.
    Cloned with CCC and did a quick boot benchmark.

My old WD2500Bevs 250gb booted in 43.4 secs (to the login screen)
    The new sammy 500gb booted in 41.1 secs

I checked the specs and the 500 is pretty much the same and uses slightly less juice too, so its a win win for me :)
    I now have 330gb free to play with as well :D

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You been away or sleeping then?,anyway got a link to ebay as i've got the hitachi 500GB in one of my pros & wouldn't mind trying out the spinpoint in another

20. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Heh :D been away for a couple of weeks, but just been browsing round here for a while and playing on my 32gb touch :p although now looking at payg iphone.
    how about you?

anyways, I got mine from this chap, he has listed some more drives on buy it now for £149 but I made an offer at £135 and it auto accepted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....go=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

I thought the price was ok and you do get an external caddy with it so you can plug in your old drive. LOADSASPACE now :D

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks for the link,yer I'm all set to get a iphone but still pondoring if on contract or pay as go,see you in the Q outside a o2 shop