Does the New SR MBP run cooler than original MBP or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catdog02481, Jun 6, 2007.

1. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Hi, I have one of the early MBP 2Ghz and even after multiple complaints and a service trip to Apple still runs extremely hot on the underside to the point where it is just collecting dust in favor of my thinkpad. I obviously love OSX and every now and then I get back on the MBP then give up after a day because of the heat.
    I would like to know if the new SR MBP runs any cooler, thank you

2. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

yes, my friends dad has just bought one for his designing company. He was surprised to see my macbook so hot, and said that his is like 20F less hot.

Probably exaggerating, but basically it runs cooler.

3. Zadillo macrumors 65816

Remember that the original Core Duo MacBook Pro had much greater heat problems. With the C2D MBP, they improved the cooling quite a bit (especially with much wider vents in the back compared to the original model). Should be an improvement over your original MBP.

4. warfa macrumors regular

what is the widget for displaying the tempreture and what is the normal tempreture?

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

i can only imagine what it will be like compared to my powerbook. i can't even tell you how freaking hot that thing was.

6. Megatron macrumors regular

For about 45 minutes to an hour I had my new mbp on my lap, web surfing, listening to itunes and chatting, and it did not get hot at all. Not very scientific, but hopefully that helps.

I downloaded the Prey Demo from the Apple's download section to see what the new geforce 8600m GT could do, and the fans did kick on after a few minutes of playing. It was on a desk at that point, so I couldn't feel the underside on my lap, but with my hands on the keyboard I don't remember the laptop getting unpleasantly hot, just warm.

7. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

The system is much cooler. Even cooler than C2D gen 2 MBPs.

8. Applenewb macrumors member

How was the prey demo?

9. Illicit macrumors 6502

istat

10. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

SO MUCH COOLER! I used my friend's macbook pro and I couldn't believe how hot it got. Under general use my new puppy usually runs about 40C on the cpu and 25C on the bottom of the enclosure according to istat. The wrist rests are actually cool to the touch. I don't know what they did, maybe the LED screen eating less power, but they did a great job at dropping the temps.

11. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

Ok thanks to all, will check it out at Apple store and maybe throw yet another >$2k wad Apple's way...

12. thekiller macrumors member

13. HFU macrumors regular

It runs cooler than CD (first gen MBP 2,1), and hotter than the C2D (second gen MBP 2,2). The battery power is also worse than C2D according to this review:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3747

Though the new LED screen (MBP 3,1) helps to save some battery power, average at 3 hours with full brighteness. If battery life is a concern to you, you might want to wait until SR refresh (MBP 3,2) which will use the 45nm Penryn.

14. Megatron macrumors regular

Well, I don't know very much about the game or what specs it should run on, but I saw it was supposed to have good graphics so I gave it a try.

Basically, I think everything autodetected to "high" settings. I would describe gameplay as very smooth, but sort of choppy when a new monster was loading. I.E. I guess it would need to swap the textures into the vram, and then it was completely smooth. Does that make sense? I have the 128MB base version 15" one.

But yeah once a monster was on screen there was absolutely no lag. What is the command for frames / second - is there a console in prey that you can enable fps? I can test when I get home.

Last night I drained the battery so that I could calibrate it, and it went much longer than what that review posted. It was recharging overnight so I will test again and see how much battery life I get, but I was surprised to read he only got 3 or 3.5 hours or whatever it was.

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have to disagree with this statement I have a 2nd gen MBP and can get around 3 hours tops with half brightness.

He says he can get 4 at half with the 3rd Gen

I am also surprised that the Windows Index Score isnt higher. Probably a driver issue, maybe it'll be fixed. I get 4.5 compared to the reviewer's 4.8 on my 15" 2.33 non-BTO. That is unfortunate.

16. Zadillo macrumors 65816

The Windows Index Score is always based on the lowest scoring component. In this case, the memory is the lowest scoring component in the new MBP. I would say to look at the scores of the other individual components and you would see a bit of difference (especially in graphics and gaming graphics).

But for other things, like CPU and hard disk, there's not going to be a noticeable difference in scores.

17. HFU macrumors regular

Have you updated to the latest firmware for your C2D? Apple has issued recall for battery that's under performed, you might want to check if your battery can be exchanged. The C2Ds I have been tested all run average of 4 hours and 10+ minutes at half brightness. Given that the 3rd gen uses LED LCD, one would expect it to run at least around 5-hour range. The power huger is obvious coming from 965 chipset and Nvidia GPU.

18. chem macrumors regular

On the original topic of temperature:

I load tested a SR MBP at a local Apple store, running 3 quicktime videos and one Final Cut Pro demo video to fully load the CPU (and GPU). Monitored the temp with istat. The MBP was on a flat display table and the store was your usual mall room temp.

The CPU ran between 82-91C, averaging about 84C. Really high. Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone opened a new MBP up to inspect the thermal paste application? Would the Apple Store exchange a brand-new MBP for a new one, if running at 85C or higher was its only problem? I am worried about buying a new MBP now, because of heat. The new T61 Thinkpad is supposed to run cool.

19. Zadillo macrumors 65816

As someone else mentioned, aren't the wood tables that the MBP's sit on at the Apple Store poor conductors of heat?

20. chem macrumors regular

If the machine is supposed to run at 65-70C under load, a wood table is not gonna make a 20C difference. Most of the heat is expelled via vents by fans.

21. HFU macrumors regular

Yes, it is hotter than C2D MBP! I tried the 15" 2.4 version at various local Apple stores to confirm that. Primarily I was there to play with new LED screens, at the same time, I want to testify the claim from new ThinkPad T61 owners that the system runs about 15-20% hotter than T60. It's no surprise first revision SR MBP will run hotter not only of E1 stepping 800FSB Merom also the first revision 965 chipset and 8600 GPU could contribute to heat factors. Intel is releasing the G0 stepping 800FSB Merom which could be in SR refresh around October.

22. chem macrumors regular

Does that include a process shrink? I think steppings do not. So, that shouldn't really help heat issues, unfortunately.

Still wondering if Apple would replace a SR MBP that averaged 80+ degrees C under load. :(

23. HFU macrumors regular

It's not process shrink as yet. Stepping update usually means errata fixes, improve higher clock speed yield at same manufacturing process (slight lower watt, lower heat, but same power consumption in some cases). For example, E1 maybe rated at 2.6GHz max, failure threshold at 2.8GHz, so Intel must package those CPUs at 2.4GHz whereas G0 stepping is rated at 3.2GHz max, failure threshold at 3.4GHz, and Intel will package those bin at 2.6GHz and 2.8GHz parts respectively. Those could be the Core 2 Duo Extreme that Intel intends to release around Q3 2007. When stepping gets updated, all the lower clock speed also gets updated, e.g. 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 parts. This could also be the reason Apple is waiting for the chip production to ramp up before moving SR to MB. G0 stepping ES has been working like charm in extreme overclocking arena, people have achieved 4.2GHz with extreme cooling on desktop platform!

Besides, it's not all just the hardware, Apple has to catch up with its OSX update that will tune for these new architectures. e.g. properly idling one core when it is not in use, finer grain at dynamic bus speed, underclocking for CPU, GPU when there is less load.

24. md63 macrumors 6502

Is my MBP 2.2GHz Running Hot?

Today I just received my MBP 2.2Ghz and noticed that bottom is very hot, primarily along the back edge new the hinge. I checked the temperture with the widget and show the following temperatures while the machine is just idilling. Are these normal? The machine seemed hotter than what I recall in the store.

CPU - 50C
    GPU Diode - 59C
    GPU Heatsink - 52C
    Heat sink A - 52C
    Heat sink B - 43C
    Eclosure Botton - 34C

Also the fans are running at 2000 RPMs.

Thanks for your comments.

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Pfft. If it gets to 80+ degrees, then start worrying.

EDIT: Celsius, of course. Only non-SI unit using Americans use Farenheit. Kelvin FTW!