Does the new SSD make the 2016 mbp feel snappier?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unagimiyagi, Nov 18, 2016.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm on a 2014 mbp 15". I'm seeing read/write speeds around 750 MB/s for the SSD.
    The new SDD in the 2016 model on paper is way faster at 3GB/sec.

Will I notice the speed of the new SSD? Will it make the computer feel snappier? I do multi-task a lot with browser windows, Xcode, Android studio, web development, R and scikit learn. I also use a VM running windows at times.

I do not do video editing nor much photo editing.

At what point, measured in MB/sec, will I see diminishing returns in terms of perceived snappiness of the computer?
    750? 1000? 2000?

2. colorfuel macrumors member

Between my Crucial SSD in my Desktop (hackintosh) with El Capitan at 500MB/s and the 256GB SSD in my 2015 MBA with 1.5GB/s, I dont see or feel any difference in, f.e. how fast Apps open.

It doesnt feel any snappier.

3. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

The "snappiness" SSDs brought to market wasn't achieved by higher read/write speeds.
    The "SSD effect" as I like to call it is about the reduced latency compared to spinning hard drives.

So if you won't be loading huge databases, directories or other large amounts of data, there won't be any noticeable difference.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just got the 256GB 13" Touchbar model and had a 2014 13" rMBP with 128GB flash storage.

Using benchmark tools the new drive is three or four times faster (more in some tests). But in just day to day usage I can tell only a slight difference. Photos opens a little faster, but not "oh wow I'm so thrilled I bought this Mac" faster.

I think maybe if you were opening and editing or copying 30GB video files, there would be a noticeable difference, but just day to day web browsing, reading emails, creating some documents, opening Photos and iTunes and using both... there is some difference but not anything earth shattering.

5. jerryk macrumors 68040

I doubt it, most of the time. I have a 2015 15" with a 1.5 GB/sec SSD and an older macBook with a 0.5 GB/sec SSD. The only time I really notice the difference is when I am doing a task that involves longer sequential read and writes like rendering a video. Most day to day stuff like mail, MS Office, coding, compiling, etc is about the same, since a lot of time the gating factor is not disk drive transfer rate.

6. Macalway macrumors 68020

I definitely notice exactly what the benchmarks show. Boot up time, app opening.
    Every little bit helps.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I went to the store yesterday to play with it and safari seems snappier

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

No, it's not going to make a difference.

If you reformatted your computer, you would say the same thing.

9. unagimiyagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

So we're saying anything above around 700 Mb/sec should be virtually imperceptible for most usage?
    That's my observation as well....but why does Apple keep putting 3GB/sec SSDs? Why not use a cheaper one?

10. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Because Apple used to appeal to the creative industry.
    Handling 4k video edits or high resolution image work hugely profits from SSD performance.

11. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Nothing feels different between 2015 model based on "snap"

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'd go even further. I'd say you can barely tell the difference over even 400Mbs is normal usage. As someone else mentioned, I think much of the perceived difference is due to the far better seek times flash storage has.