Does the new Time Capsule run hot?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ColdCase, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ColdCase, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Does the new Time Capsule run as hot as the previous version? My search did not reveal an answer.

I need to purchase a new router, and thinking about a TC... but if it runs hot, I'll just get an Extreme.

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

I'm not surprised your search didn't dig up anything, because I've never heard of anyone measuring the temperature of their router...if it was an issue I'd imagine you would find some information on it.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Mine just arrived today & it's doing an initial backup, so running as hard as it ever will - it's warm, but not what I'd call hot. Certainly no discomfort touching it.

4. ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah that's what I was thinking, no complaints means its not an concern.

I wasn't looking for a precise temp, just if it seemed to run "uncomfortably" warm/hot when run hard doing routing, wireless, and backups similar to previous versions. I stopped using my older TC as a router/wireless access point because it just got much much warmer than I'd like.

5. opinio macrumors 65816

The 2013 TC is not hot. It is mildly warm at the most, but generally cool on average. I have pulled one apart on put a Seagate Barracuda 4TB (7200rpm) drive inside. The 4TB Barracuda is known as a hot drive and my TC is still not running hot even with that drive in it. The new TC has a good exhaust system with a fan (similar to that in a Mac mini) drawing air in through the base, up and across the top (drawing hot air with it) and down the other side and out the bottom. Both the inlet and outlet are at the bottom.

The TC also spins down the drive when not in use so that adds to it remaining cool. Even when I did the initial backup of four macs (which took a few hours) to Time Machine, the TC still ran fairly cool.

Here is the post on the drive change if you are interested:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600698&highlight=airport+extreme+seagate+4tb

6. ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks I appreciate the info.

I saw your write up and thought is was excellent.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

@ColdCase, just curious, why do you care if a router runs hot or cool?

I have a Dell 24" and it does run fairly warm and on a warm day I can feel the heat on my face. I wish it runs a bit cooler. But if it were a router I would hide it somewhere and not be bothered, as long as it's within operating limit.

A minor concern is that a hot router wastes energy.