Does the new trackpad driver work with older MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SnowLeopard2008, Dec 19, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I know by default it wasn't made for those older MacBooks. But if I forced it to install on my polycarbonate MacBook, will it do anything? I'm sick of pressing the trackpad button! I don't use Windows that much, but when I do, it just bugs me. Anyone have any workarounds for this?

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I would like to know as well (I have the same MB as you SnowLeopard, except w/a 160GB HD), because in Boot Camp, sometimes the two finger scrolling doesnt work, and that really pisses me off when I'm trying to scroll through a webpage. I then hafta use the arrows!! NOOOOO!!

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well on Apple's support page, it says that if your comp isn't eligible for the update, a message will pop up saying "This update cannot be installed on this computer."

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Some guy posted on this forum ( forget which post ) and he forced it to install by updating the driver via Device Manager and manually applying. Still no dice. Why can't we use the basic features of our hardware ( tap to click, I'm not even asking for right click using tap gestures... )?

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I was thinking, since Boot Camp beta had tap-to-click feature, maybe we could take that driver and install it on the polycarbonate MacBook. The trackpad is the same hardware as the older ones so theoretically, it is sound. With that being said, who here can find a torrent of the older Boot Camp synaptics ( I think that's what it is ) driver? Or maybe someone kept their driver discs from Boot Camp beta?

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, theoretically that should be quite easy...

Which version had tap to click? I used 1.4 for awhile and that didn't seem to have it...was it 1.3?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Are we talking about the 4-finger gesture driver? Nope.

Well, you could install it, but the hardware itself doesn't support it. Since the plastic MacBook never got three-finger gestures or pinch/rotate gestures, installing the new driver would do absolutely nothing in terms of adding new features.

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

We're talking about getting a driver to make tap-to-click work.