Does the new unibody MacBook have the cracking problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Treverend, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Treverend macrumors newbie

Treverend

I'm still waiting to get a MacBook because I don't think they should be breaking. I have other plastic laptops that lasted for years and never got a crack/chip once. Why does MacBook? Too much money to spend on something that you can't rely on in my opinion... I was thinking of getting a MacBook Pro but don't really wanna drop an extra 100-200 dollars to get a 500 GB harddrive like I would on the normal MacBook.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

No, as of the new design released in late 2009 and onward, they do not crack anymore. Apple did a major overhaul of how the machine is shaped/put together so they don't have the problem anymore. I've had my MacBook since November 2009 and haven't had a single problem with the plastic yet. And I open and close it at least 5 times a day. You should be good :) The only thing I don't like about the plastic is that it gets scratched to all hell haha. You don't notice until it gets in the light though

3. Treverend thread starter macrumors newbie

Treverend

Scratching is okay, lol I'm sure there is some way to prevent that, I just don't want it to crack up. I was reading another persons topic in this forum and like 3 MacBook unibody users said they found cracks on the hinges.. I hope they just dropped it or something and it isn't cracking for no reason again.