Does the new Xbox 60GB have Jasper?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Phat Elvis, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Has anyone bought one of the new Xbox 360 60 GB consoles? I'm curious if the new 'Jasper' chip is in it. Cooler and quieter could make me go out and buy one - after the rumored Sept price drop.

Oh, I checked The Google without success. Geek.com has one but has not opened it up yet. What self respecting geek wouldn't crack open a new electronic toy right away?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Hi,

ben heck opened one up http://benheck.com/08-06-2008/inside-a-60-gig-xbox-360

The short of it, while there are some minor motherboard improvements, this is not Jasper (no 65nm GPU). I'd expect Jasper to show up when those price drops hit in September.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger as soon as the 20gb dropped. I can play mass effect for 8 hours and top of the xbox is no hotter than when it was off before I started playing.

3. Phat Elvis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I've waited this long, I can wait another month. This will give me more time for those little things in life - like family and work.

4. Mr. Burns macrumors newbie

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I wish I knew. My 'box is currently somewhere at Microsoft after suffering the RRoD for the 2nd time. Pathetic.

6. Animalk macrumors 6502

I just got my hands on a lot #0834 xbox 360 built on 28th of August 2008. It runs extremely quiet except for when the disc drive spins up to speed. I went all over town looking for the newest batches and this is the newest I found. I still can't verify whether its a jasper or a falcon. :confused:

EDIT: According to the Anandtech article posted above, my system is a falcon because it is rated at 14.2 amps. A jasper system should be rated lower then that apparently.

EDIT #2: Well it seems that the statement from anandtech is an educated guess at best. The first falcon systems to have arrived on market were rated the same as their predecessors. Only later on did they reduce the rating. So I am back at square 1 and have no idea what kind of system I have on my hands.

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

With mine being in for repair for the 2nd time in 2 years for the RRoD, I'm wondering, does MS repair the 360 consoles using the newest tech? Or would they just replace whatever is defective with a component from the build-year era? Does my question even make sense?

8. Mr. Burns macrumors newbie

IMHO the Jasper will come out after the Falcon inventory is sold. After the recent price drop, sales went up. So I'd imagine it depends how fast the units need to be replaced on shelves. Maybe we haven't reached that yet. I've got an old Core System that luckily hasn't experienced the RROD, although it gets hot and the fan runs constantly and had one episode of overheating leading to some pretty messed up video (I shut it down and let it cool out). Thought I read somewhere it was a 60% failure rate for the originals!? So... I'm hoping to get a new one with HDMI and cooler running temps, but it seems that MS isn't going to announce their newest anytime soon, if at all. Probably don't want to kill sales of Falcons. I haven't seen one affirmed Jasper announced in the wild yet, if we will be able to tell it when we see it. Hope my gear holds til' then! Lurchdubious, I would imagine, although I have no way of knowing, that newer components (depending on the component) would be incompatible or simply not used with older specced machines. Especially with a change to the 65nm process that Jasper is supposed to bring. But what do I know, maybe they do.

BTW this post has a ongoing comment section with active hunters:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/147899.asp

9. Phat Elvis thread starter macrumors 6502

Just waiting

I've been following the 8bitjoystick thread too. It's been pretty amusing. I have no idea when it's going to come out but I'm also not in a huge hurry. I have no problem waiting until it comes out. However, if they take too long and there are some good PS3 deals around the holidays then I may have to buy something else... are you listening MS?

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm glad I didn't try and wait it out. I snagged a 20gb in July when the first price drop hit. I'll switch it out for a core at 360 EOL (when we have opus and valhalla), or not get one at all if my guess is right and they make the next xbox hardware compatible with this one (powerpc proc, ati gfx chip) so that there's no software BC needed.