Does the newest ipod touch have a built in mic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Majakat, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Majakat macrumors member

Do the new larger capacity ipod touches have a built in mic? I cannot tell from the media

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, I believe that voice controls are done through the headphones.

3. el3ctone macrumors member

however interestingly, on the ipod touch page on apple.com introducing the app "Shazam" it says, "If you hear a song, hold iPod touch up to a speaker and it will name that tune."

I wonder what that is implying ;)

4. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

that you can go out and buy a mic then plug it in?

5. Majakat thread starter macrumors member

this is what is making me ask - see where it talks about the headphones with mic - "even when it is in your pocket" makes me think you dont need a mic when NOT in your pcket?

Voice Control
    Voice Control on the new 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch gives you the ability to control music playback with spoken commands. You say it. iPod touch plays it. And shuffles it, pauses it, or names it.
    Say and Play
    Voice Control knows the music in your iPod touch. Want to hear something specific? All you have to do is ask. For instance, say "Play artist Bob Dylan," and iPod touch does just that. Ask what song is playing and hear iPod touch answer. Tell it to play your favorite album, artist, or playlist. Speak simple commands such as "shuffle," "next song," and "pause." Even have iPod touch play more songs like the one you're listening to.

Voice Control on the new 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch gives you the ability to control music playback with spoken commands.

With storage for up to 90,000 of your favorite photos, iPod touch lets you flick through and share all those remember-that-day moments.

Speak into the Mic
    The new 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch come with the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic. So you can reap the benefits (and the fun) of Voice Control even when your iPod touch is tucked in your pocket or bag. To activate Voice Control using the headphones, just press and hold the center area of the remote.

6. picollus macrumors member

The mic is only on the headphone... see the tech specs page...

But... I see your points...It is badly explained on the touch voice control web page (note that all images have a headphone on it :) )

7. Majakat thread starter macrumors member

I see that - but can you use Voice Control w/o the headphones?

the Voice control section does not say you must use headphones

ETA

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

the answer does indeed seem to be no - too bad

8. picollus macrumors member

I changed my reply in the same time of yours... i misunderstand your points at first...

What i understand from the specs page is that the touch dot not have a mic at all (if you compare with iphone specs page where it is explicit) ... It's the headphone that have a mic...

So.. for all sound input operation (voice memo, voice control, third party apps...) a headphone with mic is needed.