Does the newest Redsn0w version jailbreak semitethered by default?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kzahid06, May 5, 2012.

1. kzahid06 macrumors member

Meaning I don't have to get the semitethered package from Cydia, redsn0w applies it automatically while jailbreaking?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No, the semi-tether hack is never installed by default.
    And a tethered jailbreak is not semi-tethered.
    Two different things.

3. BlueRaider macrumors regular

No, you have to install it from Cydia. I personally haven't had the best luck with Semitether, although it may have been improved since I last used it YMMV

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I think I get why OP is asking... I'm on the tethered 5.1 JB, & I have installed several Cydia apps. When I've been required to reboot, I have yet to get stuck on the apple logo.

The phone will boot to my springboard, but JB apps are gone, & Cydia & Safari crash on launch just like the Corona semi-tethered tweak. I then power the phone down like normal & enter pwnd DFU, instead of going to Pwnd DFU from the apple logo.

I have no idea why this happens - may e it's just because I don't have a ton of tweaks/apps installed (Winterboard, iFile, & Gridlock at the moment).

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That is normal behavior. Most tethered units will physically reboot, but Cydia, MobileSafari and other hacks will not launch.
    Your phone basically reboots in a non-JB state.

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Hm - I always heard that tethered JBs caused you to get stuck at the apple logo when you attempted to boot up normally.

Your comment makes me wonder what the point of the semi tethered tweak is - sounds like the same functionality you describe above. Thanks for the insight though.

7. dhlizard, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iOS5 has surprised us.
    Even pushing the Erase all Content and Settings toggle (on jailbroken phones on iOS5) no longer removes the firmware, just reboots the phone after some time. Prior to iOS5, it ALWAYS required a firmware restore.

As far as the BigBoss Semi-tether, I have never seen a real need for it (JMHO)

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The POINT of the semi tether is that if you are away from a computer and your phone crashes/reboots/whatever then you will still be able to use things like safari and other things that may require that special boot from redsnow.

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

My apologies if I'm being dense here, but everything I have read up on indicates that the Corona Semi-tethered tweak allows the phone to boot PERIOD in situations it would otherwise be stuck on the boot screen, albeit w/out Safari, Mail & Cydia

The fact that iOS 5 seems to boot up without Redsn0w & without the semi-tether package in the same manner that the semi-tether would have allowed for is why OP, myself, & dhlizard above expressed surprise.