Does the nMP sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kingsly, May 27, 2014.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

It's my first "solid state" mac, so I'm probably just in the dark about new ways of doing things, but does the nMP ever sleep?

There's no setting for sleep in energy saver and when I manually hit sleep in the apple menu the screen turns off but the cooling fan on the tower just keeps on going. :eek:

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Pretty sure it does. The only reason the fans keep going are to cool the CPU and GPU down after intense work.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Hmm. This morning when I checked the fan was still running...

I'm thinking maybe it "sleeps" the same way an iPad does?
    Can someone else with a nMP put their computer down and see. My MP tower would never sleep (SMC issues?) and I'm hoping I didn't end up with two duds in a row!

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Odd. Might be defective? I've been told the nMP is very quiet.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Mine sleeps. I have noticed that the fan was off when it was in sleep.

However, if you have setup the time machine, the nMP may wake up and do a backup for you and then go into sleep again if not disturbed.

6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

It's eerily quiet. I can't believe it's on sometimes unless I hold my hand over the exhaust vent.

No time machine. It is hardwired to a NAS... maybe network activity prevents it from sleeping. I just found it odd that there was no setting in preferences (only a timer for display sleep) and that it seems to run even when I expressly tell it to sleep.

7. GreenWater macrumors member

GreenWater

Mine lights up a few times during the night then goes dark.