Does the OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" SSD fit in the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CFoss, Jul 17, 2011.

1. CFoss macrumors 6502

When I returned the 2.5" SSD, the store offered me the 3.5" 180GB version for free. I took up the offer, and can return it if I don't open it.

So my question is this: Does it fit into the Mac Pro? I cannot find an answer for the life of me.

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

It fits perfecto on the sled. I'm running the 120GB version in my MP. Took all of 1 minute to install it.

cheers
    JohnG

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You will find the screws to mount it into the sled a bit tight at first. Be patient and careful with them because they are going into the plastic SSD case. The holes are the correct size and position but the screws have to make their own tapping grooves.

Since you have the four screws to turn, do a few turns on each to keep the SSD flush in the sled.

Once the screws are in correctly, they will be much easier to turn next time.

4. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I'm curious as to what purpose 3.5'' SSDs serve. It doesnt seem to make them more cost effective...

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

No adapter needed............ :D

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, it fits perfectly. I installed a Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB directly to the sled and it works well.

Actually, it is more cost effective. The 3.5" model is less expensive than the 2.5" comparable model and you don't have to buy an adapter.

The only downside is I'll never be able to move these into a laptop. But that's fine with me because once these are too obsolete for a desktop, they'll be too obsolete for a laptop anyway.

7. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I bought it... and it won't screw in. It's like the screws are too big for the drive. Does anyone have any ideas?

I DID fit it in with two of the screws in, but the motherboard didn't detect the SSD. :/

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Near enough ALL 3.5" HD devices should follow the same form factor, port allocations and screw fixtures. What's the point of having 3.5" format if every manufacture chose where to put it's ports?

9. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

The Vertex 2 screw-holes align fine, but the screws don't seem to fit. Any ideas? :S

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Use the ports on the motherboard putting the ssd in the space beneath the DVD drive on anti-static bag run the data cable down the back of DVD enclosure and out to get to said ports on motherboard, for power if the spare power connector for the DVD is of molex type then adapter there for the SATA power required if SATA then use as is.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The screws worked fine for me, but I have an older model and I hear they changed the case around 2011-ish. Did the drive come with its own screws in the box?