does the panasonic GS250 work on a mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by simpletoadstool, Apr 8, 2007.

1. simpletoadstool macrumors newbie

I'm currently thinking about buying a mac computer :apple: (i have always been a PC user until now) and wondering if anyone uses a panasonic GS250 on their mac computer? :confused: thanks.. i dont really want to waste the $1000+ i spent on the camera.. thanks :)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The GS300 works fine. Check to make sure you have a Firewire DV output and you should be good.

3. simpletoadstool thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I was going to start a new thread, but thought someone here might know.

A friend of mine is intrested in getting one of those Camcorders with the built-in 30GB internal HDs. He has been looking at the Sonys, and i am going to send him an email telling him to look at the JVCs.

But while doing research for him, i noticed people have had some bad reviews with the Sony because for some reason, the Sound doesn't completely work when playing/importing on the Mac. However, the video shows up/works.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has used, played with, or heard anything about these cameras? Should i tell to just get a MiniDV instead? I just don't want get something that won't work with his iMac.

Thanks, for any replies.

Oh, here are some of the cameras i am talking about: JVC, and the Sony he is interested in, Sony

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Many hard drive camcorders are difficult to import files to a Mac, and/r they use a compression algorithm that reduces image quality compared to DV tape. It is simpler to stick with a MiniDV camera unless you are committed to spending the money for a Hi Defintition unit. Search this subforum for mucho discussion about Sony HiDef cameras and their pros and cons.

But a consumer Hard drive camera? Give it a pass.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have to second this. Non-tape based consumer cameras just aren't their yet in terms of quality and convenience, IMO.

Lethal

7. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I have a GS250, works like a charm! :)

8. Toroski macrumors newbie

Hey all..

I currently have a really annoying issue with my GS250 and leopard. My firewire port won't recognize the camera. When I go into the system profiler, I get the following message..

FireWire Bus:

Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.
    Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

I was initially trying to capture the video using Final cut pro.. version 5.1. I then tried to use imovie and image capture but still no luck.

The firewire port has no problem mounting external HD's or connecting to other powerbooks using target mode... I don't know how to fix this issue. Here is a number of things I've tried that have fixed the problem for other users..

-Installed latest version of quicktime
    -Reset PRAM, take battery out & hold power button for 5 secs...
    -Rebooted and attached the cables and device one at a time.
    -tried (sudo periodic daily weekly monthly)
    -used external firewire hub connected to outlet

I'm all out of ideas. This is the first time I tried to import video from this camera. I purchased it used but my close friend, the previous owner didn't have any issues importing video through tiger.. and that seems to be the case for some other users. Does anyone have any information on how I can resolve this?

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

In my opinion, MiniDV will continue to be the standard for years. It's simplicity, price, and compatibility can't be beaten. :) Never had a problem with my Sony MiniDV camera on my Mac Pro with iMovie or Final Cut Express.

I've heard that the camcorders with built-in HDs seem to have problems importing/copying to the computer, and the quality is below par. Just what I've heard...

10. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I'm not trying to sound facetious here, but after connecting camcorder and Mac with a firewire cable (don't use USB), have you made sure the camera is on, and set to playback mode?

Andrew.

11. Toroski macrumors newbie

The GS250 is miniDV and yes the camera is on and in play mode when trying to import video. The question I proposed to begin with in relation with a firewire related problem. Why would I be trying to import with a USB cable? That's something that I find hard to miss.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I had a gs250 and it worked perfectly with my Mac. Until someone stole the camera, that is...