Does the perfect browser exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by captainbeefheat, Apr 11, 2007.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Ok I know on this forum and like every other forum in the world people are sick of browser threads but this isn't I hope going to be about which browser is best, I have have basically decided (most probably) which browser I want to use but it doesn't quite do what I want it to do.

Now currently I use Safari as my main browser but am going to switch as it closes itself ay to often and the plugins don;t tend to intergrate into nthe program very well I feel.

Firefox seems a good choice as it has a lot of useful extentions but the one thing that keeps me from making it my bowser of choice is live spell check like in Safari. I know there are extensions that will sort of do it., The best seems to be one were you right click and click on 'spell check this box' which i find annoying. I just want it to automatically spell check the box live no activation. Anyone know of a solution? Ideally also I prefer the way safari renders text boxes, check boxes and buttons. Anyone know how I can make Firefox render them in the same way?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend Inquisitor, it switched me from FF to Safari.

I am yet to find a website I want that works in Firefox but not Safari, although Myspace looks EVEN worse than usual.

The only think I prefer in Firefox is the find function, and with Safari 3 coming up, this fight will be dead unless Mozilla do something spectacular...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, the perfect browser doesn't exist, just like nothing in life is perfect. But with an open-source one like Camino (which is pretty good) you can improve yourself to get it pretty close.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as u can see, firefox 2.0 does have automatic spell checking by default, no extension needed.

to make checkbox and form field looks aqua(safari style), download aqua widget version of firefox (under the name of bonecho due to copyright issue here http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2007/03/29/firefox-2002/ )

Attached Files:

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm actually extremely happy with Firefox on Windows, but can't deal with it on my Mac. I'm hoping that Safari has a significant update with Leopard, as that's all I'll use on it. FF, Camino, et al, just leave me a little cold.

A (more) perfect browser would include the ability to drag-n-drop modules and extensions, making it as simple or powerful as the user desires. Personalized Google is a good example of this concept; extended to the entire browser, it would be a killer.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

for me Camino is just about perfect as they come. there are a few things that i would like to see added and worked on, but overall its stable, fast, and has a pretty good feature set. it has the check spelling as you type (nightly builds only still?) and its lightweight and fast, with a good interface.

7. The General macrumors 601

Thanks for that link. Very nice.

One more thing, the find function in Safari blows if you try the :apple:+F thing, but I've found that you can just start typing and it will find what you're typing, highlight it. Then, to go to the next one, press :apple:+G. I dunno if you can go to the previus, but this works for me.

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I use Safari. I'm not sure why I use it over Firefox. I used a lot of Firefox extensions and everything. I just like Safari. Also, I love how the zoom button in Safari actually stretches the window to be just the size it needs to be. Not some gigantic window filling up the left half of my screen.

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

problem with firefox is it's a memory hog. i'm on a pc, and it's taking up a quarter of my memory!

It starts out with low memory usage, but it gradually uses more and more. I've tried every suggestion to limit it, but the last suggestion says it all : "Periodically, close Firefox...." :rolleyes:

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

huh, talking about memory hungry, hehe, did u see the post showing safari with 1G memory consumption? :D trust me, 100Mb is nothing

11. hopejr macrumors 6502

I like Safari, but use Firefox because I use a lot of CMS software that have rich-text editors (such as TinyMCE) that are not compatible with Safari. Plus, I also like the Web Developer toolbar in Firefox.

12. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If you are looking for a lot of features out of the box, try Opera. As far as browsing goes, i have had a hard time finding sites that flat out dont work in it. Also, once its customized to your needs, its hard to switch to a different browser, atleast thats my experience.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

FF2.0 does have live spell check, BUT it's separate from OS X's built-in spell check.

For me, Safari + a few inputmanagers is near perfection (but there is no such thing as the perfect browser). I have Inquisitor and Safariblock and it's really nice.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Love Safari and now that i (well apfhex) have found Safariblock just makes it that much better.

15. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I find that feature-wise, the perfect browser is Omniweb. It uses the Safari/Webkit rendering engine but has great functionality, like site-specific preferences. Unfortunately, I always found it a little too much of a resource hog, though I haven't tried it on my Macbook Pro yet.

16. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I use Safari almost exclusively. Camino is nice, but I can't get rid of the status bar on the bottom, which annoys me. Firefox is great for Windows, but it doesn't blend in well enough with OS X - even with all the different themes, etc.

17. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

There's no perfect browser.

I use Safari with its add-ons which is probably as perfect as it can get, except Safari has a lot of problems with Rich Text Editors on websites. (Blogging sites) It also has some difficulties displaying different sites, which is probably the website's fault.

Firefox is probably the most compatible browser for Mac, but I don't like how it's such a memory hog.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If Safari had extensions like FF, it would be perfect for me.

I use FF on Windows (lets face it, FF should be included with every version of windows; they just fit together.) And Safari (Sometimes Tominated:) ) On the Mac.

19. antonwalker macrumors member

Opera is **** for the mac... EWWW!!!!:mad:

20. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Got Inquisitor too. It's a nice addition to Safari.

21. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i heard that SB puts suspicious cookies on the computer, and it tends to forget sites that are manually added to the block list. is that true?

22. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

while FF is not perfect, it's my de facto browser on both mac and peecee. i can't seem to live w/o extensions like ABP, image zoom, weatherfox, etc.

23. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I was FF all the way until I got a second monitor.... unfortunately FF2.0 doesn't really support dual monitors and all sorts of strange things happen. The problem is Safari is a memory hog ( even in comparison to FF ).

So I'm using Safari but only because it works on my second monitor.