Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I know someone who just got a 3G iPad and he says the black strip on the top has a bit of play in it like it's not sitting right in the metal. He says it doesn't sound like much but when you're holding the iPad in landscape you can feel it moving in your hand and it's really annoying.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm about to order my iPad tomorrow (UK) and I'm just wondering if this is a big issue.

Thanks.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
No, I haven't noticed this, nor have I seen anyone here complain about it. Sounds like a rare or isolated issue (could also be his imagination). In any case, most people prefer to use some kind of case or skin when holding the iPad, to improve grip.

traylorc

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Believe me if this were a systemic issue with the ipad there would be 52 active threads with folks complaining about this "problem". :D

Lwyd

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
It is made of plastic. I would expect it to give a little more than the aluminum the rest of the case is made of, but not that much more unless you're really pressing it.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I was worried about this. The first iPhone had a plastic strip and some were loose and rubbed against the aluminum creating a squeaking noise. I Wes afraid of this and one of the reasons I got the wifi.

After the 3G release I went to the apple store and played with it. The ones I have seen were pretty solid with no give and no squeaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.