Other Does the prospect of tariff iPhone price increases 'worry' you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, May 13, 2019.

?

so...

1. deeply

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. yes

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. unsure

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. no

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. not whatsoever

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I'm pissed off that I'll have to pay more for the iPhones I'm still going to get ... all because of a juvenile pissing contest of a trade 'war' ... but I seriously doubt it'll stop me from upgrading every year like I always have.

2. TrickyTreeRed macrumors member

TrickyTreeRed

3. vietalogy macrumors 6502

I'm not worried about iPhone I'm worried about my apple stock.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Not worrying at all because I can't see it being longterm. Besides that, prices were already too high. There isn't enough room to pass the cost on to the customer

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I'm concerned Apple will try. I assume the have some sort of plan, but who knows?

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

No. Won't be buying 2019 model. And depending on what the 2020 is like and price tag, might not get that as well. My 8 is doing just fine and happy with it.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Anyone who was going to get a new iPhone is still going to get it, and those who weren't still won't.

8. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

iPhones are already incredibly and unreasonably overpriced.... a little tariff on top of the price won’t affect the average sheep :D

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I’m deeply concerned about tariffs and how’s it going to affect prices of goods. Very deeply concerned. I hope prices don’t go up and if they do I hope they don’t go up by much. I don’t know anything about it. Don’t even quite understand it. But it worries me deeply.

Right now the XS costs 999. I would be terribly dissapinted if the price went up because of tariffs. I would not be willing to pay more than 5-10 bucks extra. So maybe 1,009 bucks at most.

10. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I don’t think the tariffs would effect the retail price of iPhones since there is a pretty hefty mark up already on the phones. Probably would affect Apple’s profit margin, since they may swallow some of the increased costs.

11. marzfreerider macrumors member

Not at the moment it doesn't. Will have to wait and see how it all plays out in the next while. Luckily, being in Canada at the moment, it shouldn't affect us as it stands right now.

12. decsramble macrumors member

decsramble

iPhones and Apple in general have become a luxury brand. They dont care about prices because their target market doesnt care about prices. Tariffs worry me because Apple will just pass it along one way or another and then add on an additional increase to compensate for the reduced sales. Thus begins a death spiral or price increases and reduced sales.

13. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Without getting into politics, I'm not worried. If iPhone prices increase when the new models are announced in September, I'll simply keep my Xs.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Target market is one thing but actual market is quite another. People from all walks of life buy iPhones and high prices is the very reason phones like the XS and XS Max aren’t owned by the majority of iPhone users.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am thinking that Apple will pass on at least some of the tariff, maybe all of it.

16. ajguckian macrumors member

It's worth it if we can get China to negotiate in good faith.

17. AddisonIII macrumors regular

I agree with your take on the subject. Plus as I see it, we have to hold tight. Otherwise if China wins, our county will be at China’s beckoning.

18. now i see it macrumors 68040

iPhones have already reached max price pain point. If the price goes any higher, lots & lots of people will say enough is enough. The ones to worry (losing a couple billion) are , not the customers.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

America will end up like Europe where 3 year contracts were invented as people weren’t going for the more expensive flagships on 1 and 2 year tariffs. The knock on effect of this is you lock users out of the upgrade cycle for longer.

20. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Sky mobile are doing that where you get far cheaper tariffs but a 3 year contract that you still need to give back at the end of it.

21. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

AT&T offers 30-months and T-Mobile at one point had 36-month installment plans on select devices. So, it’s happening here already.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I don’t know how popular these 36 month contracts are for flagship phones as I see so few in use. I see a lot of iPhone 7, 8’s and XR’s though and contracts are reasonable on those. How some people pay £70/80 a month for a slightly better iPhone is beyond me.

23. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Pretty ironic.

Chinese consumers will soon be able to buy an iPhone for less than what U.S. consumers pay.

The current price of iPhone XS/XR is the same in both countries. Just a few months ago, Apple lowered their prices in China to stimulate demand. The VAT on foreign smartphone brands was also lowered by the government. On the other hand, the U.S. is about to increase tariffs. It really shows which country is the unreasonable party.