Does the Protruding Camera Really Look Ugly ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Mar 22, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am making myself ready, mentally and monetarily to take a plunge into this 9.7" iPad Pro thing. But I never realized this until I read some threads here. Guys is the protruding camera really a deal breaker ? I mean I don't mind putting it on a surface, but aesthetically does it looks that bad ? Lot of people have deemed it to look as ugly (protruding camera)! Just based on this camera protruding so much, should one take the call and not buy it ? I know sounds unconvincing but that is too much of a protruding camera !!

I have added some pictures aswell.

Camera-6.png Camera-7.jpg Camera-3.jpg Camera-4.jpg

2. pixelements macrumors regular

pixelements

I don't think that it looks ugly. I was also concered when I saw it for the first time, since I was going to buy the new iPad because of the pencil.. The iPad is much larger compared to an iPhone and I think that it's surface is big enough to balance the protruding camera. I just hope that it DOESN'T wobble. The 1mm is not going to impact the way you draw on a flat surface. In addition, I own the smart cover and hope that I'm still able to use it with the new iPad :)

All in all: There is more buzz than actual real-world problems ;)

3. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I don't mind how the protruding camera looks on my iPhone 6+, but the phone does wobble a lot when laying flat on a surface. I'd hate that happening on my iPad Pro.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looks do not matter. Even the thinnest case to protect the back will protect the camera and allow it to lay flat on a table.

Just not a big deal.

5. pixelements macrumors regular

pixelements

Yea because it has no room on the other side to balance the height.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I don't know man. I think if people see you with that little protrusion they are gonna judge you harshly. I would caution you to think it over, for real. But if you do decide to get one make sure to get a 256GB LTE model that way atleast you know you are cool!

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Think over it for Real what ?

9. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

I think some of the frustration is knowing that if it wasn't for Apple's obsession with thinness, they could have made this ipad 6.9mm thick instead (like its older brother) which would have meant a flush camera, and then other advantages such as space for a slightly bigger battery.

I can't imagine any complaints about how thick it was, and wishing they had reduced it by 0.8mm.

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I don't think it's ugly. But the wobble would be annoying. Should've added something to counter it on the other side if they really wanted to be that thin.

11. d0minick macrumors 6502

not a deal breaker at all, but its ugly, and, IMHO devalues Apple magic. Somebody drop the ball at Apple. i can guarantee they do not like the bad PR about the camera. they pride themselves on beautiful machines.

I'd love to read the camera e-mail chain. IMO I doubt Ive wanted it, but he was forced by Cook. I think Cook is a fantastic manufacturing and finance CEO, but a horrible Apple CEO. From blatant design flaws to the horrible naming schemes going on, IMO his time has come and gone. Maybe these names make sense on inventory, but on a box, they are just confusing.

Apple iphone Pro 5.5 SE running IOS 10. Yes this has the image stabilization. The one without is the Apple iPhone Pro 4 ME running IOS 10.

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So is the 9.7" inch iPad Pro's protruding camera which was announced yesterday the same as the protruding camera of the iPhone 6s ? Not in quality in looks I am saying does it look the same way protruding as on both the devices ? I haven't yet seen the iPad Pro 9.7" so can't judge for myself !

13. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Just shave it off man. There are you tube videos on how to do it. It just doesn't make sense to fret over something so unimportant. The new pro is a great tablet and it has a protruding camera.

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

But does the new 9.7" iPad Pro have the same protruding camera as it is the case in iPhone 6s ? Do they both look the same amount of protruding ?

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're actually USING the device you'll never see it. You know, because you're looking at the screen.

I have an iPhone 6+ and I used it without a case. While it does wobble a little if I set it on the table, I have never ever thought "I wish this thing didn't wobble."

I fall into the "who cares about the camera bump..." group.

16. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Looks like it protrudes about as much as the one on the iPhone 6s. It doesn't look bad at all. The problem is that makes the iPad wobble a bit when being used on a flat surface. That can be remedied by using a case and or using it on some sort of surface that elevates it a bit.

17. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah but it hampers the aesthetic value of the iPad ! even if you are not looking at it or using it, it is there ! right there ! and if it looks aesthetically ugly ! you have a net net ugly looking device...such an expensive device should also look aesthetically pleasing right ! Not just hardware pieces here and there that is what Johnny Ivvy is for !!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    We will have to wait till the iPad Pro hits the stores an when people buy it and then compare with their iPhone 6s or do it in the store someone will have to do the comparison for us to know !

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It doesn't matter to me. It's not a device I LOOK at, it's a device I use.

He was involved in the design of the current iPhone and iPad. Apparently he doesn't care if there's a camera bump.

19. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am imagining most of the people using their 9.7" iPad Pro's with a Back Cover and with an Apple Back Cover does it look all that bad ? I have attached the picture judge it for yourself ?

[​IMG]

20. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

For me it's not as much that's it's ugly. I just don't want it to wobble like the iPhone 6 and not lay flat.

21. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Only once it starts getting delivered and when people test it will we know if it really wobbles or not ? Right now everybody is just speculating using their wild imagination ! For me it has to have a aesthetic pleasing appeal aswell along with the features.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ars Technical said it does not wobble.

As for ugly, well, it doesn't bother me. But if it bothers you enough, then don't buy it. It's totally up to you what you can live with. Nobody can decide that for you.

23. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Looks like a camera to me. I think people are really overthinking this to be a big deal. It's a small bump that you'll probably never notice and dramatically increases picture quality.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I could care less about how it looks. I will slap,a case on it and enjoy my new iPad to no end.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2016 ---
    Not into the red
    Not into red but did order the stone cover and case and it would eliminate any wobble. While naked these iPads are way to slippery but if you are worried about looks, keep it naked.

25. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

No infact I am also one amongst those who definitely prefer a smart cover and a case so I will definitely have one. The point that I was trying to make was, the back cover does it nullify? the ugly appearance of the protruding camera ?