Does the retina 5k look sharp in scaled resolutions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xmichaelp, May 24, 2015.

1. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I ask this because there's a thread which states the new rMB looks sharp at scaled resolution and rMBPs don't look as good in scaled resolutions. Pretty much everyone who's used both agrees with that.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1885425

I was just wondering if the rMB and 5k maybe uses a different technology than the rMBPs.

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

And I read an article from Marco Arment that claims the new MacBook looks fuzzy because the screen is scaled.

Anyway, the iMac 5K works and looks pretty much like the Retina MacBook Pro in this regard. The picture is definitely fuzzier, but ok. I prefer the sharpness of the default resolution, but the scaled one is not bad. I could be wrong, but some resolutions are better than others, and the 3K one is perfectly fine.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific, but you really need to see it in order to determine if it's ok with you. It does look less sharp, no doubt about it, but it's also quite nice and still a lot sharper than any non-retina display. It's not even close.

Things can also be super-tiny at scaled resolutions and I really think the default one is best, but for some tasks, I switch to scaled ones and it's fine - you only notice the fuzziness immediately after changing from the default resolution because you can compare it in your mind. After a while you adapt and it looks just as sharp.

3. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Thank you.

That review from Arment is the only negative one I've seen about the scaling though... The whole review seems pretty bitter.

I've read a lot of reviews saying the screen looks better than the Pros, and that's with the default scaled resolution. Hmm.