iPad mini Does the rMini still have screen issues?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rhyno37, May 17, 2014.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

Back in January I sold my iPad 2 for a rMini. I loved the form factor, but the yellowish lines from glue and reddish tint on the bottom half influenced me to trade it for an Air. Now I'm wanting the mini form factor again, but wasn't sure if apple worked out these screen defects?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think many people here including myself never had an issue, so you may have just gotten a defect. I don't see too many threads now about screen issues so I'd not hold back.

3. DzR-BaM macrumors newbie

Yes,

Got the wife one for mothers day, has the yellowing. She doesn't really see it, and I can only see it under the testing circumstances. But its there.

4. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

Got my wife one for Mother's Day too, it's perfect.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I bought one from TMobile last month. No issues.

6. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you consider an issue. I've had mine since launch day with no "issues".

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I've had my rMini since January. Haven't noticed anything wrong with the screen in daily use. I haven't run tests to dig deeper. I figured if I am happy the way it is, why go out of my way to find something wrong to feel terrible about.

8. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not talking about the issues/defects in which you have to run tests to discover. I'm talking about the issues that are evident to the naked eye. The pink/reddish screen tint on the bottom half in portrait mode was clear as day, and even clearer iin landscape. The yellow glue line was easy to see as well.

I'm kinda sad I missed out on the rMini being $350 from Best Buy. Seems like there has been a lot of sales on it lately, think it'll ever dip that low again?

And how much do you expect a mint Air 16gb with all original pieces to sell for?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have no idea how many iPads had that problem, but I think it's obvious that not every unit did, or else everyone would have returned their iPads. But there are plenty of people who got perfect iPads, even on day one.

When you got your rMini, did you try exchanging it, or you just gave up after the first unit was defective?

10. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I exchanged 4 times before giving up. I know this was a widespread problem, because there were many, many threads about this exact issue earlier this year on this forum, and many others I visit. I remember reading posts about other users exchanging a few times, some got lucky, some didn't. It seems to be not as common now, which is why I'm asking.

Like I said, I'm not being nitpicky. These issues were clear as day, not the ones that need a test to be ran. Best Buy had no problem with me exchanging as they saw the defects, after the fourth exchange in a row I got tired and settled with the Air which I hadn't read any issues with.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought my 128GB Retina Mini back in December and it was and still is perfect. I think people imagine things too much. How can someone exchange half a dozen or more and still claim each and every one is bad.

12. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying every rMini had this issue, but you can't ignore the ones that did. A simple search of "iPad mini retina pink (or yellow) screen tint" brings up thousands of hits. It's not like a few normal defective devices. Calling some people "mentally ill" for wanting a $400+ tablet to have a normal screen is an insult to those who actually have a disorder. Sure, there are some people that nitpicked with ghosting issues and other problems that have to be tested for, but the tinted screens were obvious and annoying. This forum was flooded with threads like these just months ago, and now people are acting like there never was a problem?

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, there were problems. But every time there is a new product launch, this forum is flooded with people having screen issues. It's hard to tell which complaints are legitimate and which are people being nitpicky. And in the end, it was not a widespread problem, because, as has been mentioned before, if it really were a widespread problem, a lot more people would be returning iPads, and instead of getting a thousand hits in google of people complaining on forums, we'd be getting a million hits of news articles over the latest Apple "screen-gate," or whatever the press decides to call it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with multiple iPads having the same defect. Perhaps there were indeed early batches that were defective. Perhaps your Best Buy got shipped a carton of a bad batch. To go back to your original question, yes, I think if you buy another iPad now, chances are good you'll get a good unit.

14. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I just found it surprising that the Air didn't have nearly as many complaints/threads. I hadn't seen a thread about rMini screen issues for a while so I didn't know if it was a new production issue or everyone just accepted/knew about it now.

Also, anyone have experience with the newer smart covers? I had one for my ipad 2 when they first came out and really liked it. It doesn't look like they'res a metal hinge anymore?

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I suppose it's possible that the rMini screen is harder to produce than the Air, because of the higher pixel density. And it is known and accepted that the rMini screen has a smaller color gamut than the Air. But if I understand correctly, your problem was that half the screen had a different tint than the other half. And I don't think anybody would ever accept that, and as I keep repeating, if that were a widespread problem, we would be hearing more about it.

As for the Smart Cover, yes, the hinge is now covered, which IMO is a good thing, because the metal ones tended to scratch the iPad. Both my iPad 2 and 3 ended up being scratched from the hinges. I got my Mom one of the new Smart Cover for her mini, and she hasn't complained about it coming off. However, I find that the new Smart Cover design, where it is in three sections, instead of four like it was for iPads 2-4, makes it easier to collapse and fall over. I have the Smart Case for my iPad Air, and it is constantly collapsing on me. :(