Does the SDD + HDD Location Matter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KJmoon117, Feb 26, 2011.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on buying the new 15" MBP with OWC Mercury Pro (when the new SATA 3 SF controllers come out) with their Data Doubler. I'm wondering does the location of where you put the SDD and HDD really matter? If so, which one is preferable? HDD in the original Hard drive bay or in where the old SuperDrive was? The new SSD will be my boot drive.

2. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

SuperDrive port only accepts SATA II and HDD location accepts SATA III. So if you get a SATA 6Gb/s HDD, put it in the HDD spot. Otherwise, doesn't matter.

3. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about the lack of vibration dampeners or the possibility that the SuperDrive port won't support the hard drive locking when exposed to sudden movements?

Sorry for being so paranoid about these things. This will be my first laptop and my second Mac after five years of waiting heh.

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

OP, I just had to come in to say,

Keith Moon, greatest drummer of all time.

/thread derailment

You'll definitely want the SSD in the former HDD position because of SATA III support. I don't know what to tell you about the lack of vibration dampeners or the motion sensors though.

5. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about boot order and this issue of drives not being able to sleep properly?

6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I don't think OS X expects the boot drive to be in SATA port 1 as opposed to SATA port 0.