Does the SL upgrade disc feature "erase and install" or not?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stofferdk, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Dear MacRumours,

This question has confused for some time. The interwebs claims the upgrade disc does NOT feature the "erase and install" option, and will ONLY upgrade your current Leopard installation WITH files to SL.

This would mean, that we had to format Leopard, and then install SL to get a clean install.

Is this true?

I ordered the box set even though I have leopard, because most mac sites claim the above mentioned feature is long gone.

so what is the CORRECT answer?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Since we all know the answer...

I believe that it is an option under the installer, however it is not under the normal settings...It is definitely a feature.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Leopard Up-To-Date discs would not install on a blank hard drive.
    They would only install if it detected Tiger OR Leopard already installed.
    You COULD do an erase and install after the detection routine had run though.

I don't know for sure, but I fully expect the SL Up-To-Date discs to be similar i.e. it will only install if Leopard or Snow Leopard is already installed on the drive. No big deal, but you must keep your Leopard disc(s) to ensure you can install SL from scratch up on a blank drive in the future.

5. abz786 macrumors 6502

so current users with Leopard (2008), just put the SL cd in and upgrade?
    Correct?

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

this is wrong. i talked to an apple employee, and they said full installs are allowed, even on a blank HD

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

Wait so I have Leopard right now on my Mac Pro.

If I install SL, and then need to wipe my hard drive at some point in the future, or the hard drive fails (I've lost 3 hard drives in my Macs in the last 3 years, so I have a reason to expect this, sadly), then I can't just install SL?

I have to install Leopard first? and then if I want a clean install of SL, I have to then put that in and go to the utilities and do an erase/install?

Couldn't they have made it like an Adobe Upgrade path or something? Just pop in a valid 10.5 disc and verify it, then go ahead with the clean install?

Would that be so hard?

:(

the problem is that they aren't offering 10.6 as just a stand-alone product. I don't want another copy of ilife and i don't want iwork at all.

I just want a 10.6 disc I can easily and quickly install just like I've always been able to do with earlier versions of OS X.

i guess I understand why they are trying to charge more for a 10.4->10.6 upgrade, but why not offer 10.6 as a stand-alone product, instead of forcing iwork and ilife on people who don't have 10.5 already?

I still have a machine with CS2 on it, and it just doesn't work well on 10.5. It might not work well on 10.6 either, but I wanted to at least try...

8. xxSpudxx macrumors member

I just called apple. They said the $29 disk is for upgrading only. It will not allow you to wipe the drive and install.

he further said that if you want to wipe your drive in the future, you will have to use the Leapord disk that came with your mac, then use the upgrade disk again.

If you want the full install and wipe capability, you will need to buy the box set.

Straight from their mouth.

9. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

^ I find it hard to believe that you won't be able to do a clean install

10. xxSpudxx macrumors member

i called twice talked to 2 different reps and they both said the same thing.

As i said in the other (what 500 threads) that the guy said it so matter of fact as if they have had training already to answer that question.

4 more days to find out for sure. I wait for the other folks to find out before I buy. I dont need SL on day 1.

11. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

correct