iPad Pro Does the Smart Keyboard work well on laps or only tables?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Speedman100, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

I'm considering purchasing an iPad Pro and the Smart Keyboard thing. I just wanted to know if you can easily use the keyboard with the iPad connected on your lap. I feel like it might be too flimsy.

2. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Yeah it works pretty well in your lap as long as you're sitting fairly upright and not reclined too much. It doesn't work so well on soft surfaces like a thick duvet when in bed but that's a very minor annoyance.

3. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

My personal opinion is that its actually unstable and uncomfortable to use on the lap. The lack of an ability to adjust screen angle is a major disadvantage. Ive only ever found real laptops with screen tilted far back are suitable in this scenario.

For this reason my most lap-able laptop is the macbook retina, still light but massively more comfortable and stable.

4. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Obviously this depends a lot on your seating position. Yes the angle is largely fixed but can be varied slightly by adjusting your leg position. I find it pretty close to perfect when sitting in a fairly soft living room chair or sofa. I am a developer who works from home 5 days a week and regularly use my 15" MBP on my lap and while it's slightly more comfortable, there isn't much in it in my experience. Then again I don't have the need to tilt the screen as far back as you seem to do. That comes back to seating position I guess.

Bottom line, if you try it and don't like it then just send it back within 14 days for a full refund.

5. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I have no issue using it on bed, couch, table or desk so far.

6. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

I find it rock steady on my lap, sitting on the couch or a chair. I'd have to intentionally shove it for it to fall backwards off my lap. Also the viewing angle is fine as far as I'm concerned.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Wobbles too much when typing with it on my lap. It isn't unusable but I much prefer typing when the IPP is on a table.

8. draughn101 macrumors regular

Yea I just unwrapped mine, and wished it was a little more study for soft surfaces. It is a pretty awesome keyboard though. Hopefully it holds up for a couple years.

....I have accidently reached for the trackpad a few times inadvertently... lol

9. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

I found the create kb to be a bit more sturdy on my lap so I went with that one. The trade is that it's heavier, but then again more protective of the pro... I just wish on both, the support from the back was better.

10. mkitchen macrumors member

Either I have a mishapen lap or some of you do. Because I am typing this on my lap right now with no problem whatsoever. Not quite as sturdy as a laptop, but no issues typing on it at all. I freaking love this thing.

11. mpetrides macrumors member

I think it may depend on how you sit with the iPad in your lap. I tend to sit with my feet on the coffee table and that makes for a very awkward position to use the Smart Keyboard--it keeps wanting to fold up. So, I ended up typing this using the on-screen keyboard, with the Smart Keyboard tucked under the iPad.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I can do it on my lap but it isn't sturdy and it wobbles. I don't understand why anyone doesn't have that experience, it matters I suppose how you sit but my legs are spread slightly apart with both feet fully touching the ground.

My Macbook is totally sturdy and does not wobble whatsoever in the same sitting position.

I do not think the Create would show much difference, I know from reading posts here and elsewhere it is more sturdy but I still think it would wobble some.

13. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I personally have found it to be uncomfortable to use on my lap, in any position.