Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
So, does the firmware do it's best to not reuse the same area of the disk for writes? Where is all of that taken care of?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
It's a disk drive not herpes.
Hrm.

The OP's point, I believe, is that Flash drives and SSDs have a limited number of rewrites per physical byte, which means that if you run them long enough and the same bytes get used over and over, eventually they can stop working. Spreading the "wear" out would effectively lengthen the lifespan of the entire SSD.

Assuming that's correct, I think I read somewhere that the effective lifespan of the SSDs released late last year was in the decades, something like 50 years or so.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think you're a lot more likely to suffer a hard drive failure (motor, bearings, etc.) long before SSD byte fatigue becomes an issue.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Check in windows with defrag ;)
Defragmenting a SSD drive sounds like a death sentence since you're copying so much data in most cases.

You're probably going to need to talk to the controller and examine the translation of logical to physical writes. Failing such technology prowess you can always ask the vendor.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Defragmenting a SSD drive sounds like a death sentence since you're copying so much data in most cases.

You're probably going to need to talk to the controller and examine the translation of logical to physical writes. Failing such technology prowess you can always ask the vendor.

I didn't say to defrag it, I check it in defrag. Which is pre-defragmentation analyzing.

Since data wouldn't be written contiguously it would make sense that defrag would report fragmentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.