Does the standard Apple warranty apply internationally?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AVR2, Mar 27, 2010.

1. AVR2 macrumors 6502

What's the warranty situation when you buy an Apple product in Country A and ship it Country B? If you need warranty service, will it have to be shipped back to Country A, or will the warranty be honoured by the Apple service departments in Country B?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

AppleCare is global. As long as your machine is under warranty you can send it in for service wherever on the globe you are, regardless of where the machine was purchased.

From the AppleCare FAQ:

What does “global repair coverage” mean?

If you take your Apple hardware with you when you travel and happen to need repair service, the AppleCare Protection Plan offers global repair coverage. You can either go to an Apple Retail Store or contact Apple for information on how to obtain service. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary according to country. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AppleCare is universal, so no matter where you are, your Mac is covered

4. AVR2 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great, thanks :)

EDIT - possible dumb question, but looking at the AppleCare website, I note that they differentiate between AppleCare, and the 1-year "limited warranty" you get as standard when you buy the product. Does the global coverage apply to the limited warranty too? I had a quick look at the T&Cs, but couldn't see anything that would include or exclude it.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, both are universal. AppleCare is just the name of the extended warranty but people call Apple's warranty AppleCare, no matter is it extended or the basic.

6. AVR2 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Tbone17 macrumors member

I think a lot of people are wondering that considering the current exchange rate.

8. rekhyt macrumors 65816

If your warranty has expired on a laptop that you own (You also bought AppleCare for 3 years but had only recently expired.), can you add another one onto it?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

10. opera57 macrumors 6502

As far as I know it does. I've just ordered an iPad from the US (to the UK) and i'm quite sure I heard that the warranty was worldwide! [​IMG]