Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I hate the fact that today we have way too many devices each doing incrementally better at a specific task.

Agree. Brilliant idea: let's stop spending money on new tech. :D :D :D Seriously, I do agree with you. Tech, especially mobile tech, is divided into segments that are in some cases razor-thin.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
Yes MS won me over with their new Surface Book. The name is stupid though.
I will sell my 15" rMBP and buy the SB once it's available in the UK. I've been through A LOT of apple products. And I love my iPhone the most. iPad was pretty boring from day one. And the "new" iPad Pro is a big let down from Apple. I don't like the direction they are going. It's form over function taken to the extreme. Apple was always careful to its presentation, but there was real "substance" under the hood. Nowadays... not so much. The Apple Watch is a flop. The new OS, Watch OS2 is a flop. My guess is that the iPad Pro will be a flop too. I worry about Apple, mostly because I love my iPhones so much and I'm scared that the future models will be boring.

Reactions: snowboarder

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Yes MS won me over with their new Surface Book. The name is stupid though.
I will sell my 15" rMBP and buy the SB once it's available in the UK. I've been through A LOT of apple products. And I love my iPhone the most. iPad was pretty boring from day one. And the "new" iPad Pro is a big let down from Apple. I don't like the direction they are going. It's form over function taken to the extreme. Apple was always careful to its presentation, but there was real "substance" under the hood. Nowadays... not so much. The Apple Watch is a flop. The new OS, Watch OS2 is a flop. My guess is that the iPad Pro will be a flop too. I worry about Apple, mostly because I love my iPhones so much and I'm scared that the future models will be boring.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If the Apple Watch is a flop, then what do you call the MS Band? (a raging success?)

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
So, the Surface Pro and Surface Book are interesting products. And I think the engineers behind them did a lot of good work. But they both (to me) make a particular statement that isn't quite what I'm looking for. And that statement is "I want to replace your laptop with Laptop Lite".

The Surface Book seems great when you mostly need a laptop, and sometimes just want to use it on the couch. Definitely a use case there. It also has a premium price tag to boot, being 200$ more than a similarly spec'd MBP 13". And you have to shed the keyboard to get down in the ballpark of the iPad Pro in terms of weight (something folks are criticizing for being too heavy). For those that want it, great.

The Surface Pro tries to be more of a drawing tablet, which is more up my alley. Still a hair on the heavy side compared to the iPad Pro. And price competitive to boot. If I bought either, it'd be this one.

The catch there though is that honestly, Win10's convergence approach means that many apps will basically do the bare minimum (if that) to support something like the Surface and move on. So while it could, in time, conceivably be a tablet that makes a good tablet, it is totally up to 3rd party devs, and running the Windows desktop just means that you aren't in any hurry to adopt the new UI when not docked. On iOS, you are either there with a tablet-first app, or not at all.

EDIT: And the Surface Book is only good for 3 hours without the keyboard. Yikes. Not something you can use mostly as a tablet at all.

Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
a fitness band?
Are they not totally different products in the same way as a laptop and an iPad?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You are saying that the MS Band is not competing with the Apple Watch?
Not directly. The focus of the MS Band is fitness rather than being an extension of a smartphone. Sure there is some functions that are common to both but the focus is different.

But if you insist then it should be that the Apple Watch competes with the MS Band since the MS Band was released well before the aWatch. :p

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Not directly. The focus of the MS Band is fitness rather than being an extension of a smartphone. Sure there is some functions that are common to both but the focus is different.

But if you insist then it should be that the Apple Watch competes with the MS Band since the MS Band was released well before the aWatch. :p

if that makes you feel better, fine....the Apple Watch and MS Band compete with each other. Every sale of an Apple Watch (which is no doubt in the millions) most likely means 1 less potential sale of the MS Band, Fitbit, Nike Fuelband, etc.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
To me not, in the same way a mac and an iPad don't compete.
The Nike fuelband and the MS band only do health aspects and are not aimed at the apple watch.

AW is a problem because it doesn't have the battery to do the sleep stuff, it just not one thing or another. (well a flop, but thats another story..)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
if that makes you feel better, fine....the Apple Watch and MS Band compete with each other. Every sale of an Apple Watch (which is no doubt in the millions) most likely means 1 less potential sale of the MS Band, Fitbit, Nike Fuelband, etc.
If the Nike Fuelband or MS Band suits a person's need for a fitness band, then an Apple Watch is overkill... and pointless if one doesn't have an iPhone.

Reactions: AFEPPL

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I am intrigued, but will also not be purchasing this generation most likely. Between my Macbook Pro, iPad Mini, and iPhone I have my computing needs covered. The idea of my laptop and tablet converging into one device sounds great, but to do so this generation would require ditching two current devices working perfectly AND dropping no less than $1450 (the lowest spec Surface 4 I'd be comfortable with plus the keyboard attachment). That's a steep cost for convenience that's somewhat debatable, depending on how the newest Surface devices perform in the real world.

But a generation or two from now, when I truly need replacements? Conceptually I see myself aligning with the direction Microsoft is going MUCH more than Apple. They're going to start stealing market share in large chunks very soon.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have come around to like the idea of the Surface Pro after seeing coworkers use the 3. I must use Windows for work and all I want is Mac at home. I won't replace my iMac as my main machine because I really like screen size and want my iTunes library at home even when my portable is not. I don't want to set up a NAS solution for an iTunes server because I really don't want to deal with that. And I want my photo libraries etc on my computer at home not taking up space on my portable.

The SP4 looks great. But at the end of the day it runs Windows. No thank you. I have no reason to like the iPad Pro. I don't even use my Mini. My iPhone 6S Plus is my screen of choice. And as much as I used to knock the kickstand, the need for a cover to stand it is getting old. That and I love the Apple keyboards, the nice thing about SP3/4 is elevated type cover.

An iPad Pro that ran Mac OS X with full apps or a SP4 that ran OS X would be the perfect complement of hardware and software.

Maybe on the next hardware cycle I would consider a Mac Mini iTunes and Photos media server with iCloud Photo Library and a TB display or LG Ultrawide display and either a new MBA, 12" MB, or 13.3" Retina and ditch the iPads altogether.

Reactions: CjonesHouston

JayHova

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
New York, NY
They have the surface pro 4 and surface book at the Microsoft stores.

The surface pro 4 is awesome, keyboard feels more like a regular keyboard. And the extra 0.3 inches on the screen make a noticible difference.

They only had one surface book on display but they took it off the floor because the hinge would not eject the display. Observed it in action prior and it looked sick from a distance.

jwalker99

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
The Surface Pro/Book is the best in class solution for anyone looking for a tablet/laptop in one device. There just isn't anything else that comes close.

The iPad Pro is the better tablet. But it's only a tablet. It's still optimized for consuming content. It might be marginally better at producing it than before with the now optional pencil and keyboard, and there are no doubt some creative/artistic fields where it will be a compelling solution, but most will still find a laptop to be the better (or required) solution for creating and managing files and other heavy duty tasks.

Meanwhile, the Surface really is an all in one solution. It may not be the best tablet, and it may not be the best laptop, but even an otherwise mediocre tablet's form factor is superior to the best laptop for consuming content - watching videos, reading, checking email, surfing the web, etc.
Just like an otherwise mediocre laptop's form factor and computing power is superior to the best tablets for creating, editing and managing most content.

Apple has yet to create a single device that combines the best of those worlds. Microsoft has.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
To me not, in the same way a mac and an iPad don't compete.
The Nike fuelband and the MS band only do health aspects and are not aimed at the apple watch.

Actually the Band does quite a few more things if you have a Windows phone to pair it with. It's more of a direct competitor to the Apple Watch in that scenario, but then if you have a Windows phone you aren't in the market for an Apple Watch anyway.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
People... you are all getting caught up on specs and are overlooking the experience. Remember that this is Windows vs. IOS / OSX.

If you like IOS and OSX then these surfaces from Microsoft are not realistically an option unless you are willing to switch your OS and leave Apple.

I am invested heavily into Apple and own iPad mini 4, iPhone 6S+, Macbook Pro 13", iMac 27", Apple Watch, and Apple TV. I am not really interested in the iPad pro since I am no artist and the pencil seems to add no value to me. I do however notice that when I am on my Windows 10 PC at work, I feel alienated because it does not interact with my other Apple devices the same way.

If people don't really have many Apple devices then probably doesn't make a difference what they buy I guess. But if you are invested in Apple then think about it!

I would rather have multiple devices than one device that tries to do it all. I love being able to switch between my phone, ipad and macbook and believe that this is much better than packing around a surface book. Think about how often you will actually use the surface book in tablet form. And then what do you do with that big keyboard you left behind?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I bought a Surface Pro 3 last year (i5/8GB RAM/256GB SSD) and it simply hasn't been the all-in-one convergence device I was hoping.

Battery life is less than half of my iPad. Weighs like 3x as much (give or take). And the tablet (non-desktop) apps are god-awful. Yes, it runs Windows 8/10 but without a keyboard/trackpad/mouse/stylus it's impossible to navigate with one's finger.

iPad may run a "mobile" operating system, but it's designed to be operated by one' singer. Not a desktop OS with a half-assed attempt at grafting on a touch interface.

I have more faith that the iPad Pro's apps will become more sophisticated versus Windows gaining more touch-friendly apps.

blitzwing

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
SP4 and Surface Book are great hardwares but their mobile apps still far lacking behind iOS and Android. From a purely productivity pov it would be a great buy but if you want an all-in-one device it is lacking in quality apps for games, videos, ebooks etc.

Thats why i returned my SP3 after one week because it is a tablet that couldn't replace my iPad.

Reactions: Sech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.