Does the Touch not cache anything?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmack549, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Everytime you open a tab back up it has to reload the site. I was really hoping it would keep it cached, I would love to be able to keep a site up and show it to a friend later. Google Maps anyone? Does anyone know why Apple chose to so this, it drives me nuts.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

3. Matteh117 macrumors regular

I noticed somewhere there was "Delete Cache"... strange.

Edit// Yep. Settings > Safari > Clear Cache (at bottom).

4. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

Huh?

It does cache, surely not as much as a computer, but it does cache.

I regularly keep a window of the MacRumors forum open and another to do other browsing and it doesn't reload upon switching back. Only when opening up a fourth page have I seen the tabs go 'white' and require re-caching.

Do you mean once you go out of wi-fi range? In that case then yes, multiple pages do need to re-cache. In that case I just leave the page I want open. I input a route in google maps and just leave it open. Anytime I go back into safari, it's right there.

It's an iPod not a computer, nor an iPhone. The browser is for when you have wi-fi. It would be a resource strain to keep it all in cache.

5. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

No private browsing.
    No saving a webpage to check it later in a non WiFi environment.
    No search within the page.
    No open-in-a-new-page option when you click a link.
    No Google Maps that works well (the website suck on this device and we don't have the widget... yet?)

6. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

Once again... iPod

Private Browsing - No need for it. The touch is already a 'private' browser. Need to cover your tracks? Theres a history clear button in the Bookmarks -> History section and a History Clear, Cookie Clear, and Cache Clear in the Settings -> Safari section. It's just not needed.

Saving a webpage - There's really no saving of anything in Safari, but again, it's meant to be used with wi-fi. It would need to use more resources for a bigger cache and there's not a lot of breathing room in an OSX installation of this size.
    A 'save webpage as a screenshot' to the Photo app would be a neat idea though. Would allow for picture grabs, news article reading, showing friend something weird, etc on the go. (If it didn't compress the picture to an unreadable size that is)

Search within a page - A handy feature, it would be nice if it was there... I really don't use it often though, and would be even less likely to use it on the touch. (Opinion, opinion, I know. Is it really that needed though?)

Open in new page - 100% agree. I had hoped that by clicking and holding a link you would be able to get an option to open it to a new tab (That's my preferred way of reading forums/slashdot). Alas, it is not there. I'm in total agreement with you on that one though.

Google maps - meh, works well enough for me. I just put in the start and end position and get directions. The printable version is perfect for keeping on the touch for driving directions.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

There's also no "just leave a page open and it will still be there even if you lose your WiFi connection." At least as far as I've found. This could be handy if there's 1 thing you need to read, access, etc. but go out of Internet range.

8. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

I knew how to clear the History, but I would rather have the option of turning it off permanently.

Let's say I want to follow the instructions of a Google Maps search? That screenshot idea could be the best compromise, but really, saving webpages could really be easy to implement. It's a webpage, it's not supposed to be big, even when you include all the junk (images) that comes with it!

When you are watching a really long thread in a forum, searching for a word would be handy. How come when I double tap on the title bar, I go all the way up but that function isn't there if I want to go all the way down the page? Of course it's fun to swing your finger like trying to make a wheel go really really fast the first couple of times, but I'm getting tired and I don't want to ajust the numbers of posts I want to view. Why not making double tapping the bottom bar go all the way down?

I hate pop-ups in my browsing (from those websites that forces you to open stuff in a new window), but on my iPod, it's exactly the opposite! It could be a preference, that could allow you to open stuff in a new page by default when it goes on another website...

Both times I tried, it failed. I'll try that iTouch Google Maps clone next time...

9. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

You might be right, but some pages needed to be reloaded after my iPod went to sleep for a couple of minutes. I don't know if it's a bug on my end on theirs (auto refreshing page crap or some other mumbo jumbo)...

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You guys can get little javascript bookmarklets for Open in New Window and Find on Page functionality.

Here you go
    . Just put them into Safari and sync them over to your touch. There's also another bookmarklet here that REMOVES the 'open in new window' functionality, so it's a bit like a toggle. You can get it here.

11. carman63 macrumors regular

http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/navigation/index.phtml

Create a new Bookmark folder, grab some of the bookmarklets in the page above, and you can get the functionality you desire :)

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It looks like there's some sort of limit to how much data can be cached. I doubt Apple would gimp the app unnecessarily with regards to this.

I don't think the system likely uses the flash ROM storage to store Safari cached data, as flash ROM is slower than system RAM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mobile Safari has desktop-capacity rendering but obviously not all the functionality. I'm more or less still very happy with it, as it still is much better than other mobile browsers. Other mobile browsers can download files, etc., but it's obvious Apple would rather keep file system access out out of the Touch to keep the user experience nice and elegant. It hurts power users but is a good choice IMO for general iPod owners.