does the trick for widgets on the desktop not work for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Merkyworks, May 2, 2010.

1. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

so I did the trick to let me drag my dashboard widgets onto my desktop with the "defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES" script in terminal. typed it and hit enter and then it just prompted me for the next command so that is how i know it worked. I logged out then logged back in and then hit F12 and grabbed a widget and while still holding it with the mouse hit F12 again. this trick should have allowed me to have the widget on the desktop but nothing happened. does this not work of snow leopard? am i doing something wrong here?

2. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so I did a full restart and that took care of the problem, I can now drag the widgets out. in the instruction i found it said to only log out and not restart.

ok so next problem, they are always on top of everything. is there a way to fix this?

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

To my knowledge, it is not possible to keep the widgets from staying on top. The command you used is meant to be used by widget developers and is not meant to be used as a means to gave widgets on your desktop (in the way you are wanting them at least.)

4. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm ok well that sucks then.

so then is there a way to have widgets on the desktop like a calender or weather?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

6. Damo01 macrumors regular

7. Damo01 macrumors regular